Acer Aspire 5742Z-4685 laptop. The right click does not work

RichardDaigle66
RichardDaigle66 Member Posts: 1 New User

Let me first introduce myself, I am 70 yrs old, a former trained electronics tech. back in the days we could dianose to componnet level to make repairs. That was some 50 yrs ago when "Transistors" were the newest and best thing around since sliced bread  I have kept my hand in it for all these years now, I generally pick up or buy older laptops or desk tops and repair them install a decent OS used to be XP but now have finally accepted win 7 and use it more and more.  Once running properly I sell them to the local poor people in my area for what I have in them and sometimes even give one to someone in dire need.  Just my way to hopefully help someone stay in school and maybe have a better chance in life.

The right click button does not work on the mouse pad, as well  as on a usb mouse. I have used Acer factory recover disks to restore it to out of the box condition. Same issue. If you use control panel to switch buttons then the only thing that happens is the cursor moves no click at all.  Also after a period of time letting the computer warm up suddenly the cursor is working but even the left click will not function it will highlight the icon but not allow you to click it. I am wondering is the only solution to replace the motherboard since it appears to be a heat aggravated problem.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  And before I forget, yes I have replaced the drivers a couple of times clean install as well

Best Answer

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

RichardDaigle66,

It looks like you have done everything I would have thought and more. It does sound like a hardware issue at this point and would require replacement of the mainboard. It sounds like the southbridge is not functioning properly.

Answers

• Ryanrr
    Ryanrr Member Posts: 831 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

RichardDaigle66,

It looks like you have done everything I would have thought and more. It does sound like a hardware issue at this point and would require replacement of the mainboard. It sounds like the southbridge is not functioning properly.

This discussion has been closed.