Acer Aspire 5732Z Screen not coming on?

londonderrry
londonderrry Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi, I could use some help. When I start my Acer Aspire 5732Z the following happens:

1. The power 'on' light comes on (as usual) and the Hard Drive light flicks on and off intermittently (as usual.)

2. You can hear the Hard Drive and CD Drive 'humming' (as usual.)

3. The LCD display changes color from dark black to light black, as if the display is on, but nothing shows up on the screen at all. Nothing about BIOS or Windows, absolutely nothing at all (no flickering, no lines, nothing.) It just continues showing the lit up black screen with no text and doesn't attempt to boot at all.

I've tried a few things:

1. I hooked up the laptop to an external screen and nothing shows up on that either, so I'm thinking that it's probably not an LCD issue (but please correct me if I'm wrong.)

2. I also tried taking the power cable/battery out, holding down the power button for 60 seconds and than plugging the power cable back in, but nothing has changed.

3. I carefully took out the 4GB memory and replaced it. Still nothing.

4. Took out the SATA HD and used it on another computer without any problem. It seems to be working fine.

5. Bent the LCD carefully all the way back 180 degree to make sure it wasn't the lid switch.

If the laptop won't work with an external screen, than it seems that I can rule out the following:

- Not the LCD
- Not the Backlight as the black screen does 'light up' to 'light black' from dark black.

- Not the Power Inverter Cable as there does appear to be LCD power ('light black screen') and the laptop doesn't work with an external monitor.

- Not the display switch

- Not the Hardrive

- Not the powerjack or supply as the CD Rom spins with a disc and I can hear the HD.

- Probably not the Memory, as it's composed of two 2GB modules, so the odds of both of them failing doesn't seem likely.

The only other thing that I can think of, is that it's a faulty 'motherboard' Could anyone else concur or offer me some advice? Thanks!

p.s. I paid extra for an extended two year warranty with the Acer, but because I didn't register the warranty and my details within the first twelve months, I've been told that my warranty is not valid and I don't have money to bring it into the local computer shop to fix it right now.

Answers

• londonderrry

Bump, bump, bump... if the laptop won't work with an external screen, does that mean the problem isn't either the LCD or Screen Inverter? At least I can start to cross some things off my list? Thanks all!!

• londonderrry

Bump, Bump, Bump... I edited my original post with more information as I've tried a few more things. Could anyone offer me some advice??????

• ari88
    ari88 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hi there, did you checked your RAM on the other devices or a RAM controller? If it's OK and you're sure it's not about your Screen,It may be your CPU,I saw that problem once before but saw that ona desktop PC and may be I'm wrong. or another thing,try to place your RAM to another **bleep**,and see if it works for you.
  • londonderrry

I'll give the memory a try on another computer. If that doesn't work, it seems that I'm looking at another motherboard right? I can't believe that Acer wouldn't honor my extended warranty (which I paid for) just because I didn't register my details in the first twelve months. My fault that I didn't register it, but it seems ridiculously harsh after it was paid for.

Thanks for the advice again. I'll see what happens with the memory!

This discussion has been closed.