Notebooks & Netbooks

Topic

Frequent Visitor
Enopho

Acer Aspire 5552G power light but only a black screen on startup

Hi all,

I have an insteresting issue, i have a acer aspire 5552g running win7 and the latest bios (upgraded it to try to fix this issue)

I see when looking at google that there are quite a few Acers that have a similar problem and i think i have tried most if not all of their fixes. 

The issue is that you turn the laptop on, and the power lights come on, but nothing on the screen.. no post, nothing.. i can hear the hdd, dvd and fan start but the screen stays blank.

i saw of some forums that it could be a corrupt bios so i used Acers flash utility to upgrade the bios from 1.3 to the latest.

pressing PF2 or PF8 to jump to setup or safe mode does nothing, sometimes.. and i do mean sometimes, pressing FN and ESC will get it to boot to windows, but it is rare and this issue is very intermittant.

I have tried removing the battery and the bios battery, and discharging the power by holding power key for 30 seconds, and starting on mains, but no luck.

if and when i do get the machine to go into windows, it seems to behave itself most of the time.. although i have noticed that on a few occasions (even when im in the bios) the touch pad and keyboard stop responding? very weird.. if it only happened in windows i would suspect driver problems, but in the bios as well????

does anyone have any suggestions for a fix please?  i am pretty tech savvy and can strip the laptop down if needed.

Thanks

Enopho

Contributor
newacer

Re: Acer Aspire 5552G power light but only a black screen on startup

[ Edited ]

have you tried external monitor? its LCD defective if external works.

no acer logo comes at all----probably mainboard

no display/blank screen after acer logo----hard drive

Frequent Visitor
Enopho

Hi, sorry should of said,

yes tried external screen.. still nothing.

there is no logo at all, as the screen is black. It looks like it has no power, but every now and again it fires up ok.  I have already checked the video cables are connected to the mainboard, and i have dropped the hard drive into an external dock to ensure the data is there, i have tried swapping memory, and removing memory to test it, i even put the memory into another laptop and it works.  but seriously if you type acer aspire black screen on bootup, there are loads and loads of results, i think i have tried them all now :smileysad: - the biggest clue for me is that when the screen does come back and i go into bios, the keyboard and touchpad might not work in there - the next reboot after that - black screen! I cant seem to find out what might cause a keyboard and touchpad not to work in the bios?  I have already flashed the Bios sucessfully to the latest version, i thought that would of nailed it.. and it did boot up after .. at least 20 times (off and on) and then the kbd and mouse stopped on a restart and then next reboot.. black screen

Frequent Visitor
Kagene

I know what the problem is....

Your video card which i hate to inform you is integrated into your system has gone bad or in short its fried... Since the video card itself isnt a seperate entity your laptop is now scrap! Tada ive been told there is a recall for this but cant find it nor can i get a hold of someone to talk to them about it since my warranty is expired so if you get anything let me know

Frequent Visitor
Enopho

thanks for your suggestion, but the graphics card works intermittantly as in.. it does sometimes start and load windows, and i cant see how that would impact on the keyboard and trackpad not working in BIOS as they are seperate entities?

If anyone has any other ideas, please im open to suggestions!

Eno

Contributor
acerfan

[ Edited ]

there is really nothing you can do at this point except to send it to acer repair depot.

New Visitor
DannyD

This just happened to mine too. Did you ever find a solution?
cdvideo

If you can find where and how to send it in for repair ?? I have sent a better part of today asking that question and all I get is look in the support forum for info on how to get your Laptop going Even thoug I asked a direct question on where I can send it in for repair all I get is Mississauga On or Richmond BC 

zar1001

It happened to mine yesterday, Acer what is the solution?  I have been through the same steps described above.

Visitor
ahmedis

Same thing started happening to me as well. At first pressing F2 repeatedly when powering on seemed to help but only briefly.. then I tried pressing Fn+F6 while powering on and that seemed to work as well but that also seemed to be a fluke... now nothing seems to work. Acer should have really have a fix for this, seems lots of others are having this problem.

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Member philetus really stepped up this past month with 160 replies and a good share of Kudos. It looks like he is on a fast track to being a true leader here! Thank you from all of us philetus.

Frequent Contributor

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: