Acer Aspire 3000 ACERDATA (D:) Partition

pcpunk
pcpunk Member Posts: 10 New User

I need the info for the ACERDATA (D: ) Partition, can someone help?  

I was trying to make the C: Drive a little smaller to install a linux OS on half the drive, but I was foolish not to write down all the important info about the drive.  The drive I need info for is the ACERDATA, I need the UUID and how it is Flagged.  If you could provide this for me that would be of great help.

I had to delete it to make the change but don't know how to tell you how to get the UUID or the Flag, I will research it a little more.  I looked at it with gparted disk manager that is booted Live but I don't expect someone else to do this.  I was not able to contact Acer to get this and sure they don't want to bother.  I also tried other paths that did not work.

Thanks pcpunk!

Answers

• XeOON
    XeOON Member Posts: 8 New User

Hello again, pcpunk

Apparently you may be approaching this a little wrong way - according to Acer ACERDATA partition is simply a partition created for storage (like C: disk usually is for OS and system files, while D: is for your additional data).

But there is also a hidden partition called PQService, which is is what you may need, because in this partition (not in ACERDATA) is all the info you need to reset your PC to factory defaults

More info here

Now if you deleted either of those partitions you can easily recover the data using data recovery tools if you haven't filled those partitions with new data

my suggestion would be for you to use this amazing tool: http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery-software/

In case you dont have any important data on the disk my suggestion would be is to format whole disk with GParted, make 2 or more primary partitions, (one being C: for OS and the rest for your future data) format them with ntfs file system, flag C: partition as bootable (right click on C: partition -> Manage Flags -> tick 'boot'option)

Restart and install XP anew from CD or USB flash drive or w/e

After Windows installation reply here and we will fix your sound card problem (if there will be such). Because there's NOTHING in that recovery partition you couldn't find online, so you don't need to reset your comp to factory defaults, reinstalling windows and getting all the drivers from Acer should do just that Smiley Happy

• pcpunk
    pcpunk Member Posts: 10 New User

XeOON wrote:

Hello again, pcpunk

Apparently you may be approaching this a little wrong way - according to Acer ACERDATA partition is simply a partition created for storage (like C: disk usually is for OS and system files, while D: is for your additional data).  I understood this, but, was not sure if D: was used by the system to store something automatically if needed, otherwise why would it be there? it was only 1.95GB, see what I mean. I will proceed without it then because I can't get the info to restore it properly.

But there is also a hidden partition called PQService, which is is what you may need, because in this partition (not in ACERDATA) is all the info you need to reset your PC to factory defaults  I understood this.

More info here

Now if you deleted either of those partitions you can easily recover the data using data recovery tools if you haven't filled those partitions with new data

my suggestion would be for you to use this amazing tool: http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery-software/

In case you dont have any important data on the disk my suggestion would be is to format whole disk with GParted, make 2 or more primary partitions, (one being C: for OS and the rest for your future data) format them with ntfs file system, flag C: partition as bootable (right click on C: partition -> Manage Flags -> tick 'boot'option)

Restart and install XP anew from CD or USB flash drive or w/e

After Windows installation reply here and we will fix your sound card problem (if there will be such). Because there's NOTHING in that recovery partition you couldn't find online, so you don't need to reset your comp to factory defaults, reinstalling windows and getting all the drivers from Acer should do just that Smiley Happy

Relpies in Red above.  

I will reply when I get ready to do the sound card issue.  One question though: I read many times via www, that many had this sound issue AFTER reinstalling from a NON Acer XP disc, Important: Is this what you did? that might tell me something important.  I aksed you this in another post but I don't think you replied.

• XeOON
    XeOON Member Posts: 8 New User

I got the comp without any recovery partitions whatsoever, so i just reformated and reinstalled windows XP. Hasn't been able to find sound drivers though, everything else was perfect :/

That ACER disk - i'm not sure what it got exactly, most likely some kind of special driver files along with xp image. But, thinking logically, what they got in that image partition you should be able to download from Acer support.

But drivers from Acer support just wouldn't work on my Aspire 3000 sound card for some reason (as the rest of drivers i tried)

if you still have access you could recover data files from recovery partition and look for driver files in there. There should be such.