ACER 5750-6845 Black screen on boot - no post codes?

artful
artful Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello everyone I am hoping someone has come across this problem before as I'm stuck!

My ACER 5750-6845 laptop is not starting anymore after working perfectly for two years. When you turn it on the blue power light comes on but no other activity, no post beep codes, no BIOS logo screen.

I've tried the "cold boot" static reset, tried swapping memory sticks and it does nothing. This is not a replaceable CPU or graphics card. It was working one day and then just stopped the next.

Any ideas? Anyone else had this and solved it?

Thank you so much for your input!

--Artful

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Graphics card problem. Which in your case means a  motherboard problem as you already know.

I'm gonna take a wild guess here. It's NOT a device problem on the motherboard. It's a device connector or connection problem.

The easiest and least-frightening to troubleshoot  is a connector problem. You've probably already done some of this. Take the battery out and pull the thing apart again. Re-seat all the accessible connectors you can find. Then before putting it all back together again, gingerly re-insert the battery, power it on and hope for the best. Obviously better to do all this on an insulating surface while it's apart.

If the above doesn't work, a solder line or solder connection has likely delaminated or cracked on the motherboard. For troubleshooting this, you must first brace yourself while waiting for the results of googling these two words "solder reflow". Hope you aren't faced with this task but unfortunately at this point I think a solder break is more likely than a connector problem.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE

First, check the graphics adapter by HDMI or VGA out to a TV or external monitor. You might have to press the Fn+F6 display toggle to get a TV screen. Report back with results.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• artful

Hey Jack thanks for the response - yes I tried that; nothing out of either the HDMI or VGA port.

I've also tried swapping the RAM, I've tried holding down the power key with the battery out as some people suggested static build up.

By the way incase anyone is wondering I did not do any BIOS updates or operating system changes; it was just working one day and then mysteriously not working the next?!

Any other ideas?

Thanks

--Artful

• JackE

art>>>nothing out of either the HDMI or VGA port.>>>

OK, not a good sign. But next question anyway. Did this initially happen intermittently? That is, did it sometimes start by cold-rebooting around the time when the symptom first appeared and now it just won't start anymore?

Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ

• artful

Hey Jack no I had never seen this symptom before, it has always worked GREAT booting up first time Smiley Sad

What do you think are the possible causes of this? The laptop has a very easy life, home-use, doesn't get moved around very much I just can't think of what the problem is Smiley Sad

--Artful

• JackE
    Answer ✓

Graphics card problem. Which in your case means a  motherboard problem as you already know.

I'm gonna take a wild guess here. It's NOT a device problem on the motherboard. It's a device connector or connection problem.

The easiest and least-frightening to troubleshoot  is a connector problem. You've probably already done some of this. Take the battery out and pull the thing apart again. Re-seat all the accessible connectors you can find. Then before putting it all back together again, gingerly re-insert the battery, power it on and hope for the best. Obviously better to do all this on an insulating surface while it's apart.

If the above doesn't work, a solder line or solder connection has likely delaminated or cracked on the motherboard. For troubleshooting this, you must first brace yourself while waiting for the results of googling these two words "solder reflow". Hope you aren't faced with this task but unfortunately at this point I think a solder break is more likely than a connector problem.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.