5750-6683 dead screen

Amaar
Amaar Member Posts: 6 New User

hi there,

I'm trying to flash(BIOS) for my laptop 5750-6683 dead black screen...but I don't see the file named (.fd) I've watched different videos on youtube regarding the black/dead screen on acer aspire. But when I downloaded the bios...I couldn't found the .fd file even though I did downloaded bios from acer web side/support

Again the laptop works normal, power, fan etc. But the screen is just solid black... Any ideas on how I can get my screen back to normal... please help

thanks,

Answers

• Clyde
    Clyde Member, Knowledge Author Posts: 420 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Are you sure the issue is with the BIOS? The LCD panel may just be bad. You may want to try calling Acer technical support.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,466 Trailblazer

I agree with Clyde. Before you try flashing the bios, you should check your graphics adapter by connecting your machine to an external monitor or TV. You might have to use the toggle Fn + F5 or Fn + F6 to turn the external monitor on and off. If you can see the external screen, your graphics adapter is probably OK. If it checks out OK on the external monitor, then, as Clyde suggest, your LCD screen may have failed. Or the connectors on the ends of the video ribbon cable might have to be re-seated. Or the cable itself may have a break that usually happens near the hinge area. Seldom it's caused by the bios.

Let us know if you can get a screen on an external monitor or TV. Then we can proceed further.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Amaar

Hello JackE,

I've tried another monitor and an HDMI cable nothing shows except the hardware/fan running normal... I think is the LCD screen!

• Amaar

Hello Clyde,

Yes indeed I've tried an HDMI cable and with another monitor and nothing shows on the external screens except my laptop's hardware/fan running normal... what should I do?

thanks

• JackE

Sorry. But it appears your graphics adapter has failed since you cannot get a screen on the TV. Not good. Unfortunately,the graphics adapter is usually an integral. soldered part of the motherboard. Are you still within the warranty period. If yes, you must immediately contact Acer customer service. If not under warranty, there are some additional steps we can try but they're quite involved.

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• Amaar

What other option(s) do I have left, before I toss this notebook outta the window!! lol

I'm so frustrated. Should I buy another laptop even though this one is only a year and half old and it's without warranty

thanks

• JackE

OK, you asked for it. As I've told other folks with similar "black screen" problems, this is not for the faint of heart. It's called motherboard solder reflow. It assumes that the graphics adapter failure is due to a crack, peel or break in the solder connections on the motherboard.

So the motherboard is essentially "baked" at a temperature to re-melt the solder connections and hopefully repair the conductivity breaks. I must warn you that it could cause other problems. But, if the graphics adapter has failed, there's not much you can do with a computer without a screen so it might be worth a try --- nothing to lose if you were thinking of tossing it.  Here's one way solder reflow is done. http://www.addictivetips.com/hardware/fix-your-graphics-card-by-baking-in-oven/

You can also Google 'motherboard reflow' for a variety of techniques. Good luck if you decide to try it. Let us know one way or another what you decide.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

This discussion has been closed.