12v supply has blown my usb ports

hancor2
hancor2 Member Posts: 5 New User

I have an Acer 5738z and I stupidly plugged a 12v supply from the back of a monitor into one of my laptop's usb ports. I now have zero working usb.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for what might have blown, fried or just died?

I am guessing it will be a shop fix job, but it might be something silly like an overload shut off. I have tried a factory restore but that failed.

Thanks

Best Answer

• hancor2
    Answer ✓

Thanks for reply.... Have managed to sort my issue by other means.

I wanted to get back the abilty to connect a mouse to the laptop and with blown USB was facing an unbreakable wall, so me being me and having this strange love of fiddling I stripped a USB cable from it's male end (leaving the female intact) and using a plug similar to an internal bluetooth modem I took the tiny metal connectors our and carefully wrapped them in tape and slid them onto the pins for the socket I would have plugged a BT Module into, then removing a BT USB Dongle from it's case I wrapped it in tape to isolate it and plugged it in........ Success - I now have internal BT with a BT mouse and I'm happy again.

I did have to source a schematic for the mainboard so I could work out the correct wiring order but got lucky first guess, and I had to remove some plastic parts from the inside of the palm rest so it would all fit with the laptop intact.

Answers

• HK53T
    HK53T Member Posts: 767 Die Hard WiFi Icon

USB ports would be mainboard

• hancor2
    Answer ✓

Thanks for reply.... Have managed to sort my issue by other means.

I wanted to get back the abilty to connect a mouse to the laptop and with blown USB was facing an unbreakable wall, so me being me and having this strange love of fiddling I stripped a USB cable from it's male end (leaving the female intact) and using a plug similar to an internal bluetooth modem I took the tiny metal connectors our and carefully wrapped them in tape and slid them onto the pins for the socket I would have plugged a BT Module into, then removing a BT USB Dongle from it's case I wrapped it in tape to isolate it and plugged it in........ Success - I now have internal BT with a BT mouse and I'm happy again.

I did have to source a schematic for the mainboard so I could work out the correct wiring order but got lucky first guess, and I had to remove some plastic parts from the inside of the palm rest so it would all fit with the laptop intact.

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hancor, you need to be writing FOR us, not TO us.

This discussion has been closed.