XG270HU screen blacking out randomly

Options
Jaredmshoe135
Jaredmshoe135 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

I bought the Acer XG270HU about 4 months ago and ever since I purchased it there is an issue where the screen momentarily turns black for about 3 seconds then goes back to normal. Here is a video of it at it's worst. https://www.youtube.com/watch?edit=vd&v=n4C1AchjMqI

In some games the issue is nonexistant other games are unplayable because of it.

Here are some things I have done to try to fix it

Overall this is very frustrating as I spent a good amount on this monitor that doesn't even work well.

Answers

• UberNuuber
    UberNuuber Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

I have same problem and im going crazy, with this.. have tried 2 different GPU cards.. Asus Strix ROG 480 8GB and atm i have Asus Strix ROG 8GB OC and stuff start to go wrong if i use DP cable, with HDMI and DVI works fine, but i did buy this monitor for 144hz gaming and Freesync..Black blinking start, when i start games and it makes gaming imposible and sometimes even when im just surfing internet..

I have been thinking its my GPU drivers or someting, but this is not normal anymore..

I did buy this monitor like 4-6months ago and i got warranty, but would be great to avoid RMA cycle.

Have tried many different drivers and 2 different DP cable 1 that was with monitor in box and 1 is Deltaco.. Installed OS again and no result.

With this amount paid from product u expect it work Smiley Sad I did read, that u guys send people some DP cable´s, that should fix the problem.. Is it still possible?

What would u guys suggess for this problem?? And be lovely and answer this question for us customers, if u want to keep us on supporting u guys..

Kind Regards UberNuuber

• UberNuuber
    Options

I did buy new cable https://www.hama.com/00078442/hama-displayport-cable-gold-plated-double-shielded-180-m and i still get black sceens..seems like i need to RMA my monitor.. Is Acer support even reading these threads? Would be great if u would o.O 

• Jaredmshoe135
    Jaredmshoe135 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I sent my RMA'd my monitor to get fixed and when it was returned it still was in the same condition and had the same exact problem with a note saying they couldn't replicate or find the problem. I'm beginning to think it might be my GPU which I'm going to have to RMA.

• thunderpaw
    thunderpaw Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Options

I downgraded my Crimson drivers to 17.4.3 and it seemed to fix this issue. http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous/detail?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064&rev=17.4.3

I first did a safe mode uninstall of the current drivers using DDU (Display Driver uninstaller) then installed the above drivers. I haven't had the black screen since on a few games where I could recreate it at will.

• Ugoff
    Ugoff Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I have/had this issue too... Just curious.. at any time did any of you mine crypto currency btc/eth? I just remembered I did and one of the scripts used setx to set some environment variables in windows:

setx GPU_FORCE_64BIT_PTR 0
    setx GPU_MAX_HEAP_SIZE 100
    setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
    setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
    setx GPU_SINGLE_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

I was able to find them in registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment

I deleted them all, and so far the flicker is gone and only had 1 black out.. which may have been just a glitch launching the game... going to do some more testing, but was super exited when i found these. restart after removing them if they are there.

just to note I had tried everything I could possibly find about changing voltage/mem speeds, DDU, new drivers, 4 DP cables (currently using Accell), old drivers. A bit confusing because most articles are for CCC and with the Radeon Settings it doesnt always translate 100%. 

Anyway still being cautious, but I think i found the issue for me at least... will report back if it starts happening again. Beautiful monitor when it works...

• Ugoff
    Options

Flickering just returned, tried multiple games... its back... I have two XFX RX 480... Super Frustrated with this..... probably spent 20+ hours troubleshooting...

• thunderpaw

Tinkerer

Options

After I downgraded to 17.4.3 drivers, the problem LESSENED, but it has come back. I have no clue what else to do. I found a few games where I can force the black screen to come up, One of them being wow at high settings. I noticed it happens when my Frame rate dips beneath 25 fps. I still think this is somehow related to LFC reaching its lower limit. 

In wow, I can stop the black screen all together by installing the 17.4.3 drivers. I went back to the 17.7.1 drivers today and the problem got worse again. If I lower the games settings, avoiding any framerate drops to 25 or lesss, no flicker. 

• UberNuuber
    Options

thunderpaw wrote:

I downgraded my Crimson drivers to 17.4.3 and it seemed to fix this issue. http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/previous/detail?os=Windows%2010%20-%2064&rev=17.4.3

I first did a safe mode uninstall of the current drivers using DDU (Display Driver uninstaller) then installed the above drivers. I haven't had the black screen since on a few games where I could recreate it at will.

This did fix my problem.. 2 dayz without black sceens in-game+s, that did flash alltime before.. AMD should make remake driver like this, that will boost performance like new ones, that wont work correctly Smiley Sad

• UberNuuber
    Options

thunderpaw wrote:

After I downgraded to 17.4.3 drivers, the problem LESSENED, but it has come back. I have no clue what else to do. I found a few games where I can force the black screen to come up, One of them being wow at high settings. I noticed it happens when my Frame rate dips beneath 25 fps. I still think this is somehow related to LFC reaching its lower limit. 

In wow, I can stop the black screen all together by installing the 17.4.3 drivers. I went back to the 17.7.1 drivers today and the problem got worse again. If I lower the games settings, avoiding any framerate drops to 25 or lesss, no flicker. 

My problem, was not fps related.. I did run 200+fps in Path Of Exile and 100+fps PlayerUnknownBattlegrounds and still sceen was flashing.. Using that driver 17.4.3 and tweaked some settings in Global Settings: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/solved-my-screen-goes-black-when-i-run-any-project-in-fullscreen.25357/

This post: 

"Would like to thank everyone for there help, so thank you!!

FOR ANYONE WITH THE SAME ISSUES, FOLLOW THESE STEPS:

1. Go to "Global Game Settings" > windows > graphics

2. Tick both "Alternate synchronization method" and "Use synchronization to avoid tearing"

Hope this helps anyone else who has the same problem I did "

Hopefully these things helps you Smiley Happy

:)" />

• Ugoff
    Options

Just curios where you are seeing these global game settings, the post you mentioned links to settings in a specfic game...

• UberNuuber
    Options

Here is video, that show where are Global Settings

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yTXDrCEn0I

• Ugoff
    Options

After spending time on the phone with my video card manufactures tech support, they suspect a bandwidth issue with the display port on this monitor, they also brought up the fact that this monitor, let alone any acer monitor, doesnt have the official Display Port logo or listed the display port website as being an official display port tested device. See the banner at the top of this page: https://www.displayport.org/products-database/

I am returning this monitor. Good luck everyone.

• thunderpaw

Tinkerer

Options

Hmm, I do see no ACER monitors are showing under this list. However, I have been looking for various newer highend monitors on this list and only finding about 1 out of every 5 I look up. I'm wondering how current this list is. Either way, ACER still needs to answer this and they seem reluctant to say anything on this. I know I've seen ACER reps on these boards but it seems they are avoiding this line of discussion like the plague.

• Monkeybit94
    Monkeybit94 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

I've had my monitor over a year now and playing certain games over the last few months has caused the screen to black out a few seconds at at time, in fact it just happened when typing this out.

I now know it is the monitor that has the fault as my PC needs repairing so I am using the monitor with my laptop and when the monitor screen goes black, nothing happens to the laptop at all.

Does anyone have an answer as these blackouts sometimes happen at a crucial moment when playing a game apart from being really annoying anyway.

• Monkeybit94
    Options

This happens to me too and it's really annoying when you are playing a game and just at a crucial time it goes black for 2 or 3 secs. I've had my monitor over a year but it's only the past 2 months or so that it is doing this.

It's definately my monitor that is doing it. It started to do it when I'm on my PC and I first thought that it was the problem, but it's not working at the moment and I'm on my laptop and I connected my monitor and it keeps going black for a short while and I'm not even playing a game and all of the time the screen on the laptop doesn't even flicker.

As this has been happening to a lot of others over a long period surely the guys who work for Acer should have come up with a fix or some kind of help or even just to say we don;t know why yet. They are quick enough to ask you to recommend their products... so come on, please give us some answers.

• UberNuuber
    Options

For few days my issue have been back and i did chance my refresh rate from 144hz to 120-100hz no help.

Now in this game session, that i had blinking was soo annoying and after i did end my game, it did blink even after i closed game.

I did chance many different options on my sceen own options and did try get stuff fixed. After few minutes i did turn my refresh rate back to 144hz and blinking did go wild after, that i did Reset All Settings on my sceen options, that did end flashing and i started game again and it didint flash. Soo im sure its problem with this monitor and we cant Firmware update it or anyting. I have strugled now half year with this monitor.

They should not sell this as 1440p with DisplayPort 144hz Freesync, Because this monitor only work at least for me 1440p 60hz with DVI or HDMI. DisplayPort is just not working like it should Smiley Sad 

I will contact support and link them to this thread and if they, wont do anyting for us.. I want my money back and hopefully u do same and if that wont work i will contact Customer Assistant (dont know name in English) and they will make puzzles move.

Kind regards UberNuuber

PS: Soz from bit straight language, but i feel, that we are getting 0 service at this moment...

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• thunderpaw

Tinkerer

Options

I'm sending my monitor in, but from what I read, they will test on their system with a freesync test and say all works well. They probably wont even bother to push the screen to its limit in freesync so I doubt they will see the problem. At this point, its the only thing I can do other than swap out my video card.

• Monkeybit94
    Options

I have noticed that there is no driver support if you are using Windows 10 and they say it is inline with Microsofts guidlines...

This is absolutely ridiculous and why should a monitor of this age be excluded from new drivers when clearly we need them???

My monitor was working fine until just a few months ago and now it seems to be getting worse!!! As we have had no support from Acer then it must be Microsoft to blame and why isn't Acer doing something about it??? It's a disgrace and makes me quite angry and not wanting to purchase any further goods from these people.

Come on Acer, you owe it to your customers to do something now!!!

• Monkeybit94
    Options

Over the last couple of weeks or so I'm not experiencing the blackouts. This must have been a problem with Microsoft updates in the first place as I haven't had any updates from Acer. The question that still remains is why didn't ACER help us to understand what was going on, they could at least have said they did not know but they would look into it. It's not very good customer relations.

Are any of you guys still suffering?? I’m using Windows 10.

• birarda
    birarda Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Did you do anything to fix the issue? I'm having the same problem and it was extremely bad this weekend.

I'd like to figure out if I should be trying to get a refund to grab another FreeSync monitor or if there is a way to fix this problem.