XB270HU DisplayPort issues - "No Signal"

adg1034
adg1034 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi, Acer.

I just purchased an XB270HU monitor. I was really excited, because I'd also just bought a new GeForce 980 TI video card to make the most of the 144Hz this monitor can support. (Plus, you know, G-SYNC.)

So I was very disappointed when I started having DisplayPort issues.

When I turn on my computer, the video signal works fine, but as soon as Windows starts loading, I see a "No Signal" message. (This happens the same way on all three DP connectors, so it's not an issue with a faulty port.) From what I've found online, this seems to be a known issue with NVidia's Maxwell graphics chips and DisplayPort monitors. (And my graphics card worked perfectly when I used a DVI monitor with it for the last two weeks.)

There have, however, been a few times where I have gotten my monitor to work:
1. With another monitor plugged in to the DVI port on my video card. However, when I unplugged my DVI monitor, my XB270HU stopped working immediately. I've reproduced this twice.
2. The very first times I used each of the three DP ports on my video card. The first time I used my monitor with DP #1, it worked. I was even able to play some games. But after I restarted my computer (and turned my monitor off and on again), DP #1 didn't work. I then plugged my monitor into DP #2, and again, it worked, until I restarted. Same with DP #3.

I'm inclined to believe that this is an issue with my video card (and probably a handshake issue), since I've seen other people's issues solved with a new BIOS from their graphics card vendor. And I already have a support ticket in with ASUS (my graphics card vendor). But I also wanted to reach out to Acer support to find out if you've found a consistent fix yet. Maybe there's something in a newer version of the firmware that can address this, or something in the factory menu. I'm willing to try just about anything, so I'll cross my fingers and hope you have some ideas.

Best Answer

• adg1034
    Answer ✓

So, I have an update, but it's not super satisfying.

I've since sold this monitor. Turns out, when connected to a reference EVGA GTX 980, it works perfectly. No DP "No Signal" issues, no weird interaction with other ports on the back of the video card. Which means that there probably is something wrong with some Maxwell cards (GTX 9x0 series). I imagine I could have RMAed my 980 Ti and gotten one without this problem, or switched to an EVGA card that had the right vBIOS installed. So it's not the monitor. Or not entirely the monitor.

I don't know if later revisions of this monitor have done anything on their end to mitigate DP handshake issues, or whether that has to be on the graphics card side. But I'm here to say that, in this case, the monitor doesn't seem to have been the problem.

Answers

• adg1034

Interestingly, I've since been able to set up both my XB270HU and my previous (DVI) monitor in a dual-screen setup. Both work flawlessly until I unplug my DVI monitor, at which point my XB270HU either says No Signal or goes into a rotating series of test patterns. (And yes, I've held down the second and third buttons from the right to reset the monitor when that happens.)

So whatever's causing this is affected by the presence of another monitor connected to my GTX 980 Ti.

• gibbo1213
    gibbo1213 Member Posts: 3 New User

Hey,

I'm getting a similar problem with my XG270HU, it works fine out of the box with a HDMI cable, but shows no signal when i plug in a Disply port one. Unless i get it all up and running with HDMI and the plug the disply port cable in and manualy change input from HDMI to DP.

I'm Running my screen of off a 970, so i doubt it is your card mate!

Also mine crashes and black screens when windows is loading if i use the DP cable.

• adg1034
    Answer ✓

So, I have an update, but it's not super satisfying.

I've since sold this monitor. Turns out, when connected to a reference EVGA GTX 980, it works perfectly. No DP "No Signal" issues, no weird interaction with other ports on the back of the video card. Which means that there probably is something wrong with some Maxwell cards (GTX 9x0 series). I imagine I could have RMAed my 980 Ti and gotten one without this problem, or switched to an EVGA card that had the right vBIOS installed. So it's not the monitor. Or not entirely the monitor.

I don't know if later revisions of this monitor have done anything on their end to mitigate DP handshake issues, or whether that has to be on the graphics card side. But I'm here to say that, in this case, the monitor doesn't seem to have been the problem.

• gibbo1213
    gibbo1213 Member Posts: 3 New User

It doesnt make sence to me that the card can work fine with HDMI but not DP? ill have to try it with a DVI cable to see if i get any issues there.