GN246HL Input not supported at 120 Hz 720p

Options
XPANDrnd
XPANDrnd Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi,

We’ve purchased the GN246HL monitor last week and intended to use it for displaying 120 Hz, 720p video. So, on the monitor’s input we supplied such a video stream over HDMI but the monitor reported an “Input not Supported” error message in a blue frame. We are confident that the stream and used equipment is in order because the same setup works if using an older ASUS VG278H monitor (which is unfortunately no longer in production).

Additional information: If connecting the Acer monitor to an NVIDIA Quadro GPU equipped PC with 3D Vision kit and drivers installed, and then starting the 3D test video or 3D test images slideshow the monitor seemed to be working just fine at 120 Hz. 3D was crisp and clear and lack of flickering suggests the refresh rate is indeed 120 Hz (that and the fact that we selected 120 Hz in the control panel).

My question is, is by any chance the monitor designed in a way to only support 120 Hz input when used with a 3D Vision™ GPU? So with NVIDIA stereographic GPUs using 3D Vision drivers? In other words, is the monitor “locked” to NVIDIA’s GPUs?

Is there any way we can get the monitor to work with a 120 Hz frame sequential input signal not coming from an NVIDIA GPU? If not, does Acer offer a different model, which would work as described – so with a 120 Hz 720p (1080p if possible) frame sequential input stream not provided by a 3D Vision™ enabled GPU?

Thank you.

Answers

• XPANDrnd
    XPANDrnd Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Replying to my owh question since I can't find a way to edit the original post. I apologise if one exists.

So it turns out that the monitor in question only supports 120 / 144 Hz input over its DVI input. Since I was using HDMI, it didn't work. I did also try HDMi to DVI cable before posting my original question to see if by any chance that would help, but it didn't. However the problem has obviously been a bad cable (either too long, too old or too damaged to work on 120 Hz but interestingly enough good enough to work on 60 Hz). Anyway, I went and got a new HDMI-to-DVI cable and was then able to get 120 Hz into the monitor and displayed onto the screen.

I wish I would have found input frame rate support per input type (VGA, DVI, HDMI) in the online specs of the monitor. It would have saved me a lot of time. So this can perhaps also be an appeal to the Acer team to update the specs of this monitor on the website.

A slight problem still remains. When inputting 120 Hz over DVI the monitor occasionally blinks. Like it misses a few frames or perhaps mixes up the refreshing sequence. Anyone else noticed such behavior with these displays running on 120 Hz?