Flashing / flicker / blinking display, XB270HU in this case

Options
micleg
micleg Member Posts: 12 New User
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

What is it about the Acer displays that make them flicker and blink like this? Several people seem to have a problem with this and I have tried two XB270HU displays now. Both flicker every now and then! Very irritating and the display is very expensive.

When I saw that this occurs for other displays too I got a bit more worried. What is happening?

I have a GTX970 card and have tried bort displayports. Both give the same problem. I guess all of these displays are affected.

Answers

• Clyde
    Clyde Member, Knowledge Author Posts: 420 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Could it be the cables of computer you are using? Have you tried different cables and outputs? I have 2 Acer displays and they don't flicker at all.

• micleg
    Options
    Its getting better for each driver version. I am using the supplied Acer 2 meter cable. I will try other cables and computers but I haven't had time considering the present state where it hardly flickers except when coming back from sleep.
  • micleg
    Options

Still facing this problem. Every time it flashes (completely black) it does this three times. I have had two monitors and they both do this. I have got a new firmware for my graphics card from EVGA but the problem remains.

How many have flashing XB270HU monitors? What is you driver version and GPU?

• Kaze101
    Kaze101 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I just had this happen to me yesterday. I have a gtx980. It also seem thAt ULMB isn't working either. If I turn it on I just get horrible ghosting but no blur reduction .

I've reinstalled the latest drivers and reverted to old drivers but that hasn't worked either.
    Going to try a new cable to see if that makes any difference at all.

Do you still have his issue? If you do can you check if your ULMB is working as well? I have suspect it we might have faulty panels Smiley Sad
  • micleg
    Options

If I turn off G-Sync and turn ULMB on the screen gets really bright. No ghosting i WIndows 8.1 (64) desktop.

I have tried two cables so far and they havent't changed the flickering. Now I have uninstalled EVGA Precision since it made my favourite game (Company of Heroes 2) freeze on load screen together with Nvidia 353.30. I will try this driver as it is the latest now that I have found out what froze the game.

With previous driver versiones the blinking/flickering always came three at a time and they are really slow. I miss a lot while this happens.

...Just tried CoH2 with ULMB and it looks very nice, no artifacts or shadowing. Only ran the performance test so it wasn't long enough to see if the blinking was there (but I think that only appears with G-Sync).

• itchyo
    itchyo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Don't know why but i can't log into my previous account, i'm the same person as above (Kaze101).

Your reply is interesting because for me the blinking is not a static amount. Sometimes it's 3 times (slow) somtimes it's 5+ times but quite fast.

For me it occurs during GYSNC and ULMB modes - sometimes the image quality becomes very fuzzy after a few blinks (the fuzziness does not affect the OSD panel).

Seem's like my issue is much worse than yours Smiley Sad - I'm hoping it's not my graphics card, any suggestions how i rule my hardware out?

• micleg
    Options

Difficult if you don't have another computer. I have two other computers with Nvidia GTX 670 and 780 cards so they both support G-sync. Will try the display on those when I have time. Also trying different cables but so far the cable seems to not be the problem, unless they all are broken / unsatisfactory.

I also have a FullHD G-sync display which I can move to this computer. Got a fresh bios from EVGA but no change.

• Alusnova
    Alusnova Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    I posted a similar thread today with the same issues , I'm too experiencing the same problems flickering very randomly .

I got a brand new 980 ti G1 and decided to plug it to my 1080p TV using my dvi/hdmi adapter and there is no flickering at all so that rules out the brand new card, is the monitor as I was using a qnix monitor and no flickering either. I'm going to buy a other cable which I doubt will do anything , what does Acer suggest we do here ? I would hate having to send this back for repair . :-(
  • micleg
    Options

Haven't heard anything but "try to rule out cable, GPU and Windows" from them here.

I think it is a firmware problem since it seems to vary with Nvidia driver version and I've already had to displays at home (the first one seemed smashed at factory) and the first one had the same problem.

• Alusnova
    Options

I was just over the EVGA forums and there are a few similar thread with the same problem , I have a G1 ti, they have EVGA cards, etc so it's not the cards is either the monitor or the cable tha comes with the monitor.

Now I'm going to buy a different DP cable here just to see if that fixes it but honestly what kind of quality control is Acer doing?  if it is indeed the cable why would they ship this expensive monitor with a subpar cable?  Now I'm starting to think that it could be all defecitive G-sync modules or monitors. 

• micleg
    Options
    I will try these things:

- Move this display to another PC with different cable and GTX 780

- Move this display to another PC with different cable and GTX 670 where I usually have a FullHD G-sync display without problems

- Move that G-sync display to this PC (with the EVGA GTX 970)

The only thing I can't try is move it to another PC with a GTX 9XX card.
  • Alusnova
    Options

Happy to report that a new cable I bought fixed all the flickering . Still how can Acer ship this monitor with a subpar cable is beyond me.

Now I'm expereicing a new problem running the monitor at 144hz keeps my gpu running over 925mhz , so basically it never downclocks, when i set the monitor to 120hz or lower the card downclocks.

• Juni0rM1nt
    Juni0rM1nt Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

same problem. the flashing / flickering is quite obstrusive as it can happen at anytime during a game or application you have open! Temporary solution has been to press the power swtich botton located at the back of the display. Flipping the switch Off and back On after 30 sec seems to fix the problem. Howerver after each reboot the flicker comes back!! Is there a firmware update for this issue?

Please help Acer!

-JM