Acer H277HUsmipuz with macbook pro 2017. No picture and charging over USB-C.

Options
MarkusFF
MarkusFF Member Posts: 1 New User
edited February 16 in 2018 Archives

Hey guys,

i just bought a new Macbook Pro 2017 and wanted to connect it to my Acer H277HUsmipuz over the USB-C post. With my old MacBook 2016 everything worked fine over USB-C, i got picture, it was charged and the ssd harddrive with was connected to the display was shown on the MacBook and worked perfectly.

With my new MacBook Pro 2017 i don't get any picture and it isn't being charged. Also when connecting the MacBook Pro the harddrive which is connected to the display sounds like powering down. 

I thought that the reason for the display and the MacBook Pro not working as aspected could be a to low power throughput. So i tried differnt scenarios with unplugging all USB devices (Hard drive,...) and also powering the MacBook Pro through another USB-C port while connecting the display over USB-C to the MacBook. I also tried all of the 4 differnet USB-C ports of the MacBook but nothing mentioned worked. 

When i connect the display to my old MacBook 2016 i can see the display being conncted to the single USB-C port in the system information hardware section. While connected to the new MacBook Pro 2017 the display isn't shown in the system information hardware section.

Does anybody have the same problem? Could it be a firmware problem which could be solved through a future MacOS update? I'm really frustrated because everythink works fine on the old MacBook and there shouldn't be any different in connecting the same display over the same connection to the same kind of port.

Kind regards,

Markus

Answers

• nanoanno
    nanoanno Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have the exact same problem. I'd love to know if/when you find a solution. Good luck!
  • waigx
    waigx Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have the exactly same problem with 12'' MacBook - according to amazon reviews, the monitor does not compatible with all Mid 2017 Mac products. includes iMac.

But I highly suspect that this is an apple driver issue. Finger crossing for an solution.

• linushellberg
    linushellberg Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Im having the same problem.

I have tried with 3 different MacBook Pro 2016 and it works.
    Tried with 3 different MacBook Pro 2017 Mid and none works. So there is clearly a issue with the latest macbook.
    I have tried the MacBook Pro 2017 Mid with other usb-c monitors and they work.

• unityjay
    unityjay Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

same problem here. saw the article on the acer site saying that if the screen is black when connected via usb-c, the monitor needs a firmware upgrade, which can only done by the factory. tried to call Acer support, and all i got was that it's an apple issue. crossing fingers this is solved.

• iRainer
    iRainer Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I bought the Acer H277HUsmipuz this spring in prospect of replacing my old MBP (that I connect by DisplayPort) with the MBP 2017 this summer. Now I'm hoping for a quick solution because I don't want to by yet another monitor.

I believe an Acer firmware update could fix this because

a) the H277HU already had a similar problem in 2016 and a firmware update fixed it (see https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42394/~/acer-h277hu-does-not-show-video-when-connected-via-usb-c)

b) the MBP 2017 works well with other monitors, like e.g. LG

Any news from Acer, have they investigated the problem?

• iRainer
    iRainer Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Btw, there is an interesting discussion going on on this topic on Macrumors:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mbp-2017-usb-c-possible-issue-with-acer-h277hu.2055239/

They are discussing a firmware update and using a different cable (USB-C 3.1 gen 2).

• hiddenmonkey58
    hiddenmonkey58 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hello all. Any chance this has been solved or resolved? I have a new monitor and a 2017 Macbook and am having the same issue.