AL1716 monitor goes black after a few seconds. If I turn the monitor off & on again, it works -

corgidaddy
corgidaddy Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

The monitor worked fine for a few years, so it is no longer under warranty. I was going to throw it away.

Then the monitor I bought to replace it, got damaged on the way to the band practice site.

Now I hope to repair the Acer monitor.

When the computer boots up and a new screen loads, the monitor shows it for a couple of seconds. After the computer is at the desktop, if I turn the monitor off and then back on, it displays the desktop perfectly for a couple of seconds.

The monitor I replaced it with also works fine with the computer. It collided with another appliance when the car in front of me stopped suddenly and there is a chunk missing from the screen in the lower left corner. It looks like modern art in the lower section with some of it white and some black and some vertical lines and horizontal lines. I can continue to use it, since what I need is found in the upper part of the screen. I learned the keyboard command to shut the computer down. The windows key followed by the right arrow, followed by the enter key.

Best Answer

• corgidaddy
    Answer ✓

I looked at a couple of videos for monitor repair on Youtube.

It appears that capacitors are the typical component that goes bad first.

So I guess I will snap the front off the monitor and see if the power board has any capacitors with the tops popped up. I can use capacitors with the same micro-fared rating and equal or better voltage from the other monitor.

I recently learned the beginning secret step to successful soldering.

You need to have a clean tip.

When you clean the soldering iron tip, it should have the appearance of copper. If solder doesn't stick to the tip, it is not clean enough. I used a wet dry sandpaper and scoured it. They are sold with a protective coating that has to be removed. If it is not removed it will foul the tip.

Answers

• corgidaddy
    Answer ✓

I looked at a couple of videos for monitor repair on Youtube.

It appears that capacitors are the typical component that goes bad first.

So I guess I will snap the front off the monitor and see if the power board has any capacitors with the tops popped up. I can use capacitors with the same micro-fared rating and equal or better voltage from the other monitor.

I recently learned the beginning secret step to successful soldering.

You need to have a clean tip.

When you clean the soldering iron tip, it should have the appearance of copper. If solder doesn't stick to the tip, it is not clean enough. I used a wet dry sandpaper and scoured it. They are sold with a protective coating that has to be removed. If it is not removed it will foul the tip.