I'm receiving calls from an u/k third party saying they working on behalf of Microsoft.

Options
sirroger
sirroger Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

They say my IPaddress has been seriously compromised and  I need to give them access to my computer so they can assess and repair the risk.  They have phoned me 3 times today--I've ignored their calls as I did speak with one of their agents 2 days ago and told them I was not interested in their services.  Just wondering if anyone else out there has had this happen to them and is this legit or a scam.

Comments

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

It's a scam.

I know two elderly people that were scammed by this.  It's a very common scam here in the US.

Microsoft would never call you.  Microsoft would never have a third party call you about IP address or computer problems.

https://blogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/2014/06/26/is-that-call-from-microsoft-a-scam/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • sirroger
    Options

Thank you so much.  I kind of thought so but, glad to have you confirm it.  Is there anything that can be done about it ie: notify Microsoft or the Police. 

• JordanB
    Options

I'm not sure what can be done if you haven't actually fallen for the scam.  I guess you could alert your friends, family, neighbors and possibly your local television station.   Or possibly call your telephone company and report them.

Since I live in the USA, scams are a way of life.  People here in the USA purchase products that are scientifically unproven all the time......e.g.. certain healthcare/drug scams.  Some scams are given legitamacy, but I digress.

Snake oil salesman have been around for a long time.

• sirroger
    Options

Thank you.  I will certainly notify everyone I know now that I am sure it is a scam.

Again, thank you.

• JordanB
    Options

You're welcome.

The link below is a good article about it.

http://blogs.microsoft.com/on-the-issues/2014/12/18/microsoft-takes-action-tech-support-scammers/#sm.001y7larg1twd0i119y1qrk9hirzr

Marked reply as a Solution. imageAcer-Jose

• sirroger
    Options

Thank you Jordan8.  Excellent article--I will be sure to pass it on.

• PMiner
    PMiner Member Posts: 180 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Also, if your IP was compromised, you could just change it, especially if you have DHCP turned on.

• sirroger
    Options

Sorry, I'm a newbie at this.  I know what the IP is but, I have no idea how to change it and I don't know what DHCP is.  If it's not a complicated exlanation and you wish to tell me how to do it--I will change it.  Thank you.

• PMiner
    Options
    DHCP is a Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, meaning your router changes your IP address automatically. changing it manually is not recommended since it may accidentally conflict with other devices on the network. restarting the router usually re-assigns IP addresses.
  • sirroger
    Options

I tried changing IP without success.  Called my service provider-they say it changes automatically regularly and it cannot be changed manually.  Thanks for your input.

• JordanB
    Options

Why are you trying to change your IP address?

You believe the scammers?

I don't understand why you are trying to change your IP address.

• sirroger
    Options

Another member posted saying I should change the IP address as a safety precaution.  So I tried, thinking it might help.  Nothing has changed except they still keep calling me-daily- which concerns me somewhat.  Thanks.

• PMiner
    Options
    try blocking their number if they are still calling you.
  • sirroger
    Options

I block each number they call from--they must have access to many different numbers.  No calls today so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!  Maybe they have given up.

• hTconeM9user
    hTconeM9user Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

It is a Scam, no one would phone you on behalf of Microsoft

First you would have to e-mail them

Then they would contact you back via the same

It is a person trying toi take control of your computer/laptop 

To try and get money out of you to fix it and download a virus

Hope that helps