windows 10 download to create installation media not recognizing usb flash drive.

misciagna
misciagna Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

downloaded the windows 10 tool onto a desk top running windows 7. that went ok. i ran  it to make a usb flash for my aspire one 756 that i'm installing a new hard drive on. it won't recognize any usb flash drives even though my desktop does.

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

i suggest you to download the iso file using the microsoft tool and use Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive:

https://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

partition scheme: MBR for old BIOS

file system: FAT32

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • misciagna

did the dowload and used rufus and it did create 3 files on my flash drive. still will not find the usb drive. i think i'll check into what a dl dvd is. i tied to use regular dvd after usb failure and was informed not enough space. thanks for the suggestion.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

@Ironfly

I could be wrong, but I think his Aspire One 756 is a UEFI computer.   Here's an example.  So I suppose he needs to use GPT partition scheme for UEFI when he uses rufus.

• misciagna

Thanks for the link. I did not understand just how to use rufus. I'll study it and try to work things out. i'm not getting my hard drive till monday (amazon), so i have time to figure it out.

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

If you want to use Microsoft's media creation tool, you have to make sure that you uncheck the box.......see below.  You must uncheck the box when you use a different PC to create the media.

uncheck.PNG

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• IronFly

JordanB wrote:

@Ironfly

I could be wrong, but I think his Aspire One 756 is a UEFI computer.   Here's an example.  So I suppose he needs to use GPT partition scheme for UEFI when he uses rufus.

can be.

in this case, just set it as on the Rufus website screenshot.

• misciagna

i think i created my bootable flash drive. actually did two and both show same when opened. i see 9 files and folders, starting with boot and ending with set up.  thanks to everyone for the help.

• misciagna

update. got my new hard drive today. $40 amazon. the bootable flash drive worked.  i can't believe how easy it was. couldn't have done it without the support on this forum. saved me buying a new laptop or even a new version of windows.  thanks again.

• IronFly

you welcome.