when I add 4gb ram to my aspire 5720z I get a blue screen

slumdog10
slumdog10 Member Posts: 6 New User

I have an acer aspire 5720z and it came with 2gb ram which was made up of 2 x 1gb sticks. i have bought 4gb ram consisting of 2 x 2gb ram sticks but when i install the 2 sticks it causes my laptop to show an error and then blue screen.

i have heard many people say that this laptop can only take 2gb max but it states on the acer website that it can take 4gb ..

could someone please help.

i have tried each 2gb stick individually and the laptop works fine but its when they are both in that it doesnt like them. they are ddr2-5300 667 so should work.

thanks

Answers

• Hello,

Could you give me:

1. The first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.
    2. The brand and the part number of the new memory modules?
    France
  • slumdog10
    Hi the new memory is IN2V2GNWNEI 2GB DDR-667 SODIMM .

The computer is aspire 5720z series model no ICL50
    I don't know where I can find the serial number
  • slumdog10
    The serial number is lxal90x002
    1. Sorry but you didn't buy the right memory modules:
      Aspire 5720Z: Integral IN2V2GNWNEX
    2. Here are the specifications of your laptop: Link
    3. Here are the specifications of Intel GM965: Link

I confirm your laptop supports up to 4Gb. You only need the right memory modules.
    France
  • slumdog10
    Hi thanks for the reply but you haven't told me anything.. I know my laptop supports 4gb. And the link you sent me to does say that my laptop takes ddr2 SODIMM ram which is what I have bought.. please can you send me a link to the correct ram as I cant understand why you say it is wrong.
    Thanks for you quick reply
  • Hello,

As I wrote, Integral gives this part number IN2V2GNWNEX for your laptop and not IN2V2GNWNEI. Also I found two different documents for these memory modules:

So you have to buy 2xIntegral IN2V2GNWNEX. If you need other brands, I can give them to you.

IN2V2GNWNEX: http://www.uk.insight.com/en-gb/productinfo/computer-memory/0001892056

France
  • slumdog10
    Hi thanks for the response. I thought all ddr2 ram would be the same.. i didn't realise there were different ones for different laptops.. please could you send me a list of all the different ram I could use.. thanks again for all your help it has been really helpful..
  • Hi Laurent,

As a matter of interest, both modules look similar to me, may be I'm not looking properly, could you please point me at the right direction, Thanks.

• Gonzalogermanbe
    Gonzalogermanbe Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi, I have the same problem, I upgrade my ASpire 5720z with kingston ram modules, what kind of model do i need in order to make it right? Thank you.

• Hi Gonzalogermanbe,

Sorry for the delay. First could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • Gonzalogermanbe

I Laurent, thanks for your response. I can´t give you the serial number because I don´t have it. It´s an old computer and the S/N is deleted; the label is broken. Can I give you other information? Thanks.

• Hi Gonzalogermanbe,

You can also find it like this:

1. Launch Command prompt
    2. Type this command: wmic bios get serialnumber
    3. Note it
    4. Type exit to quit Command prompt
    France
  • Gonzalogermanbe

Hi Laurent, thanks for the tip...my serial number is: LXALA0X042**********.

Regards.

[edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, email addresses, phone numbers, full serial numbers, etc.]

• Hi Gonzalogermanbe,

Did you buy this Kingston memory module?

France
  • Gonzalogermanbe
    Hi laurent, yes. I have two of those modules. One with 1 gb and the other one with 2 gb.
  • Gonzalogermanbe
    According to the Kingston's web I supose I can only upgrade to 2 gb max.
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Hi Gonzalogermanbe,

I think it's a mistake because this laptop supports up to 4Gb. Personally I would try these memory modules: Link.

France
  • Gonzalogermanbe

Hi laurent, I have tried those modules that you tell me (2gb+2gb). The only way to make my laptop works was with two ram modules, one with 1 gb and the other one with 2 gb. Currently I have 3gb of ram memory and it works fine. But if I try upgrade to 4 gb I get the blue screen. Maybe the kingston web page is right. I don´t know. I appreciate your help, thank you very much for your time. Regards.

• slumdog10
    I had same problem. The laptop can take 3gb fine but 4gb it doesn't like. Maybe Acer should be looking into this problem more because so many people will have this problem rather than just telling us all it can take 4gb but only a certain make which I also feel should have been advertised when the laptop was sold