upgade memory

Options
oliviaheart
oliviaheart Member Posts: 4 New User

I have an Acer Aspire 5251-1513 with original 2GB memory. I have never upgraded memory, but would like to try. Can I do this on my own? All I need is enough to play some on-line MMORPGs, maybe a total of 4 to 6 GB?. I have tried to play Path of Exile, but screen freezes and I get booted out ... any help/suggestions?

Best Answer

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Options

I believe your max RAM is 8GB (2 x 4GB).
    If you wish, you could replace one of your 1GB sticks with a 4GB giving you a total of 5GB.
    Probably, replacing both 1GB sticks with 4GB ones to get the maximum 8GB is the better option.

I don't have access to details on your model but there is no doubt in my mind that you can perform the update yourself. However, note that some are more difficult than others. If you have direct access to the RAM then that should be straight forward. If not, you may need to remove the bottom case cover. Worst case is where you would also need to remove the motherboard.

Also be aware that increasing RAM may not enable you to play certain games. You need to ensure that your graphic card/chip set meets the software requirements.

Answers

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Answer ✓
    Options

I believe your max RAM is 8GB (2 x 4GB).
    If you wish, you could replace one of your 1GB sticks with a 4GB giving you a total of 5GB.
    Probably, replacing both 1GB sticks with 4GB ones to get the maximum 8GB is the better option.

I don't have access to details on your model but there is no doubt in my mind that you can perform the update yourself. However, note that some are more difficult than others. If you have direct access to the RAM then that should be straight forward. If not, you may need to remove the bottom case cover. Worst case is where you would also need to remove the motherboard.

Also be aware that increasing RAM may not enable you to play certain games. You need to ensure that your graphic card/chip set meets the software requirements.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

You can do it easily. Unplug and remove the battery. Remove the cover on the lower back and the memory is right there.

The cheapest would be 2 2GB dimms for 4GB which would be good. You can also go with a 4GB and a 2GB or 2 4GBs.

It should run 8GB, but might need some driver updates.

• oliviaheart
    Options

Dear Alan-London,

Thank you for your reply ... I have an ATI Radeon HD 4250 card and my screen/graphics always look great ... but my limiting factor is one of finances. I will save for 4 GB and give it a try ... you have given me the assurance, and confidence I needed.

• oliviaheart
    Options

Dear Philetus,

Thanks for your prompt reply ... I discovered this site accidently and am thrilled that I did ... I have a 5-year-old, fire-forged laptop I call 'Ms Phoenix'. Yes ! I inherited it after a house fire 3 years ago, which burned off the keyboard and melted part of the case. I plugged in a Dell keyboard, replaced the battery and scrubbed the previous owner's files.  I download free software from CNET and keep it running as clean as possible.  But performance issues all seem to be due to low RAM, which I hope to correct.  If I am ever in a position to purchase a new laptop, it will be a new Acer Aspire !!! Till then, Ms Phoenix and I will keep going with your and the Acer Community's help.  Thank You!