universal unique identifier

Options
emcgilli
emcgilli Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I am using an acer aspire e 11 with Windows 8.1.  The computer is used for home use and is not joined to a domain.  I recentlly reset the device to factor default using Acer's Recovery Management utility.  When the recovery was complete, I downloaded and installed all the applicable windows updates.  I have one user account that is an administrative account and everything works just fine.  I created a second user account as a standard user.  When I sign in as this standard user, I get an error message that states: "The Group Policy Client service failed the sign-in.  The universal unique identifier (UUID) type is not supported." I have reviewed the solution found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2976660 but that doesn't fix my problem as it describes fixing the image. 

What is my solution to this problem?

Thanks.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

The fix you found seems to be the only solution, except this if you can adapt it to your situation http://blogs.msdn.com/b/moiqubal/archive/2012/03/04/how-to-fix-quot-the-group-policy-client-service-failed-the-logon-access-denied-quot-error.aspx

Since you're not having this problem in your Admin acct. You could try deleting the standard acct, make a new Admin acct. and if all is good, then change the acct. to a standard acct.

• emcgilli
    emcgilli Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks for the information and the link.  I had previously found that one too, but since I am not dealing with a domain, there is nothing for me to unjoin and rejoin.

If I change the account to a computer administrator, I can sign in successfully.  So it does appear that my only solution is that every account on this machine has to be an administrator.  So much for trying to enforce some degreee of security.  There has to be a solution to this besides making everyone an administrator.  Maybe the solution is to downgrade to Windows 7?

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Did you try converting the second Admin acct to a standard acct and it then caused the error? As to your question, I would revert to Windows 7. Did your come with 7?