question about aspire 5742 upgrade

Options
thurgood
thurgood Member Posts: 53 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

I have a 5742 running great... ssd HD and 4gb memory. The cpu is an i3 370m. Woudl upgrading to an i5 560m cpu make much of a difference? They are pretty cheap at the moment. 

Answers

• abrasax
    abrasax Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Depends on what you use it for. I don't think you would notice much difference in OS speed, but certain single thread software would run faster due to turbo boost. The biggest bottleneck for these types of notebooks is the mechanical drive which you already solved with the ssd. Now if the cpu is really really cheap, of course you should buy it Smiley Happy 

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,157 Trailblazer
    Options

thurgood wrote:

I have a 5742 running great... ssd HD and 4gb memory. The cpu is an i3 370m. Woudl upgrading to an i5 560m cpu make much of a difference? They are pretty cheap at the moment. 

This will give you an idea:http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-560M-vs-Intel-Core-i3-370M

• thurgood
    thurgood Member Posts: 53 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

I see.  Slightly, marginally better... "No winner delcared" Smiley Frustrated   It *can* be had for pretty cheaply at the moment, but the most important thing for me is that buying it and replacing the older cpu gives me an excuse to disassemble the laptop, clean out the HSF, put new thermic paste on the cpu and gain more laptop repair experience.

I am not too sure, but my experience tells me that maybe this should be done every couple of years if not more often...

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,157 Trailblazer
    Options

In that case, you can go ahead with your upgrade and enjoy the experienceSmiley Very Happy