power light flashes red acer aspire D150-1189

Options
labud
labud Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I was hoping to resurrect my unused Acer Aspire D150-1189 to make it a dedicated machine for an IP camera.  It originally came with Windows XP on it and was upgraded to Windows 7 Home.  I have also had opensuse 11.0 and Moblin and Meego on it. Since I was only going to use it as a recorder for my IP camera I was planning on putting a lightweight linux OS on it.  I have tried Lubuntu, Cub Linux, Vector linux, LXLE linux, all to no avail.They seem to install OK, but every few seconds during installation the screen would go black and the power light would flash red.  I would press the power button and it would go green, the screen would come on to show the progress of the installation, but after a few seconds the screen would go black and the power light would flash red. This would happen all through the installation of any OS and then when the install was finished the netbook would reboot to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left. If Itried to install another OS, when it got to the partition part, it would show the last OS as being installed. I have tried a live USB and live CD and although it boots up the same black screen and flashing red power light occur.  Any ideas what I could do to correct this?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

Does it still display the ACER coldboot logo screen? Has the original recovery partition been wiped? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• labud
    Options

Thanks JackE for the reply.

JackE wrote:

Does it still display the ACER coldboot logo screen?

It still has the Acer  cold boot Logo screen.  

JackE wrote:

Has the original recovery partition been wiped? Jack E/NJ 

Since I have had so many different OS's on it the recoverypartition has not been on it for a while, that I am aware of.

• doughjohn
    doughjohn Member Posts: 353 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi

What state would the battery be in?

Could it be removed or reset?

• JackE
    Options

>>> It originally came with Windows XP on it and was upgraded to Windows 7 Home.>>>

If it was mine, I'd try to go back to Win7 just because of better graphics compatibilities. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Do you have the recovery disks that came with it ? MyD150 is still running XP but when running start button on right has a blue light and charge light on left is orange, disk activity light is next to charge light and flashes when active.

• labud
    Options

@doughJohn

doughjohn wrote:

Hi

What state would the battery be in?

Could it be removed or reset?

I see that it can be removed, how would I reset it?

• labud
    Options

JackE wrote:

>>> It originally came with Windows XP on it and was upgraded to Windows 7 Home.>>>

If it was mine, I'd try to go back to Win7 just because of better graphics compatibilities. Jack E/NJ 

Well I could do that, but I really wanted a lightweight OS at this time.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

My 150 is still running XP and does very well, just received a security update. It needs less memory than anything else. Since it has a removable battery why not disconnect the battery, connect the power adapter, and see if the PC will boot.

• labud
    Options

padgett wrote:

Since it has a removable battery why not disconnect the battery, connect the power adapter, and see if the PC will boot.

Not sure I understand why I would need to do this? There is nothing wrong with the battery and the netbook boots just fine.  I just cannot get it to accept a Linux OS, although I have had other linux OSes on it before.  I have reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium on it and it seems to be working fine, but I will continue to search for an answer to my original question.

I cannot mark this as "SOLVED" because it is not.

From Original Post:
    Every few seconds during installation the screen would go black and the power light would flash red.  I would press the power button and it would go green, the screen would come on to show the progress of the installation, but after a few seconds the screen would go black and the power light would flash red. This would happen all through the installation of any linux OS and then when the install was finished the netbook would reboot to a black screen with a flashing cursor in the top left. If Itried to install another linux OS, when it got to the partition part, it would show the last OS as being installed. I have tried a live USB and live CD and although it boots up the same black screen and flashing red power light occur.
  • JackE
    Options

>>>I have had other linux OSes on it before>>>

Which ones? From your description of its current state, I see no reason why one of them can't be installed on it now. Start fresh. Wipe the HDD. Then try one of the bootable Linux installation sticks again. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• labud
    Options

I have had a number, but the ones that come to mind are of the opensuse variety.  [11's, meego, moblin]

• JackE
    Options

If it was mine, I'd wipe the HDD and try to install a newer version again. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ