newly installed ssd drive not detected on acer 4830tg

Options
ashaban_ee
ashaban_ee Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi All,

I was replacing y HDD in the laptop with SDD.

The laptop is acer 4830TG, it had 512GB HDD WD.

Replacing it with Kingston SSD 480GB.

The SSD is not detected at startup of the laptop, while it is detected on another machine, I also tried another SSD on the acer and it was detected (the other SSD is 120GB).

Any suggestions ?

Is this a sort of compatibility issue ? Any workaround ?

Thanks a lot for your support.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Check if the Kingston is formatted same as the SSD that was recognized in the Acer.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    Check if it's listed in BIOS, press F2 at boot.

If not, is not compatible.

Another user got problems with kingstone SSD not able to boot but listed on BIOS, i think there's some incompatibility.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ashaban_ee
    Options

Hi philetus,

Thanks for reply.

What is the prefered format ?

I dont have the working SSD anymore (it wasnt mine).

I tried partitioning the Kingston SSD (the not working one), in 2 partitions on another machine, but still not detected at BIOS.

• ashaban_ee
    Options

Hi IronFly,

Thanks for your reply.

It is not detected on the BIOS, I am trying to replace the HDD with it, so I removed the HDD and installed the SSD, then on boot up and F2 it does not appear.

Would you please guide me about what is specififcally the incompatible spec, and if there is something about that on the internet.

Any workarounds ? and if I need a different SSD what would be the required specs ?

I can see a site named "mrmemory", it recommends this kengston SSD for that Acer model  in the link below

http://www.mrmemory.co.uk/ssd-upgrades/acer/aspire-notebook/timelinex-4830tg-6457

Is that correct or I am missing something ?

Thanks a lot for your support.

• ashaban_ee
    Options

I checked Kingston website and search for my Acer 4830TG and could find the SSD I bought

http://www.kingston.com/en/memory/search?DeviceType=3&Mfr=ACE&Line=Aspire&Model=71880&Description=Kingston_System_Specific_Memory_for_acer_Aspire_TimelineX_4830TG_AS4830TG-xxx

I bought the SSD only not the bundle kit.

The part number for the drive alone is SV300S37A/480G, while for the bundle kit it is SV300S3B7A/480G

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Check that your BIOS is the latest and the SSD has the latest firmware, update both and recheck if it's recognised on BIOS.

Acer BIOS:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/3636;-;Aspire%204830TG

if not.....it's not compatible, end of story; even if kingston says it's compatible.

by the way, i would contact Kingston customer service and ask about that issue.

I'm not an Acer employee.