need testing environment

Options
palevine56
palevine56 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I, alone,  develop complex VR applications which, of course, are graphics and database intensive.   But I have little comfort in knowing how to upgrade as my current configurations get slower and slower.  I know I need a major upgrade $2500-$4000 machine but have no way to test to determine the best choice.  64 gigs of memory 1 tb SSD  latest intel, 1 or 2  1080 Nvidia boards ....    $$$$$ and likely a laptop  to have mobile demos (I think the concepts are new and complex as my VR relates to reality not gaming.    I currently have 2 Acers, 1 HP, 1 Asus,  all have worked rather well; max cpu is 3.5; max memory is 32 with a couple of solid state devices.  But: which is more important; cpu, memory at what speed, solid state drives (for windows?), graphics card with N gigs of DDR5 memory. Cannot afford it all and if I could I probably would have to run the CPU under water for cooling!   Ideally there would be a way of borrowing a machine (rent?),  use via internet, to be able to load test various configurations.  Since my applications are not gaming and involve concepts and education (getting to the next level sooner)  I think they better apply to the future than gaming and it would be nice to show Acer has the right products for these forthcoming applications.  I am talking about thousands of very complex interelated graphic objects interacting with tens of thousands of data facts.  Yes, this will need to work with head and hand gear involving concurrent users and concurrent processing because reality works concurrently.     So any ideas on how to get machines, or get access, or what ever that I could use in a development environment.  thanks for at lest reading!

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,586 Trailblazer
    Options

You might want to try following some of the links on this site. http://www.acer-group.com/

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• palevine56
    palevine56 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

did not see anything on that site related to my comments!

[post cleaned up to read more easily]

• JackE
    Options

Sorry, having trouble posting info. Will respond later. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options

You may have to make some phone calls, write letters/emails and dig deeper into the AcerGroup structure to find contacts or areas that might at least indirectly relate to your interests and goals. I think some of areas in the Acer-Group site map might lead to receptive folks who can help you reach your goals --- or might NOT. From what you've written here so far, I found at least two AcerGroup email addresses thru the site map that seem to indirectly relate. If I were doing your type of VR work, I'd certainly try to reach out to them. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Ideas_Acer
    Ideas_Acer Member Posts: 284 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

You have a very interesting post, PV.  And you ask some GREAT questions.  I can't personally help much, but I suggest that you post a similar message under the Predator Laptop forums.  I know your are not 'gaming', but your hardware requirements are much the same as high end gamers crave, and they tend to be quite knowledgable about these topics.  I suspect you will draw quite a bit of input on CPU, RAM, SSD, etc.  And perhaps some ideas on how to get your hands on such devices.  Good luck and thanks for contacting us.