my aspire 8930 seems to have lost the empowering technology toolbar, is there a fix?

johng2
johng2 Member Posts: 5 New User

my aspire 8930 seems to have lost the empowering technology toolbar, is there a fix?

Best Answer

• johng2
    Answer ✓

Thanks again, Jack.

I think my daughter has already realised her friend did a good job, (because I hadn't even noticed anything).

I'm going to ignore this minor fault.  I can live with things as they are, I do appreciate your efforts to help and will buy a desktop computer next time.  I really didn't need a laptop, (I just thought I did).

My best regards,

John 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

There should be a toggle button or key in the upper right hand corner above the keyboard to display the toolbar.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• johng2

Thank you, Jack.

I am familiar with this botton.

The problem is, there is no response to using the button.

I had not used this function for some weeks, and have just noticed this problem.

The surround sound function doesn't work either.

john

• JackE

Is it still the factory-installed operating system? Vista or Win7?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• johng2

Jack,

yes, it is still Vista home premium.

john

• JackE

>>>I had not used this function for some weeks, and have just noticed this problem. The surround sound function doesn't work either.>>>

Assuming it's not a hardware issue, yYou might check control panel to see if there are any restore points that might be available just prior to the last time you recall using these function keys. If so, you might consider backing up your system to external media and then try restoring it to the earlier restore point. If not, you could also try the Alt+F10 boot recovery while saving your data to see if the functionality can be re-enabled. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• johng2

Thanks again, Jack.

I have just been told that my daughter had the harddrive replaced while my wife and i were on vacation.

The guy who did the repair may not have loaded the complete system files.

I assumed the problems were my lack of use of the laptop.

I will have to give this guy a chance to check out his work.

I 'm not sure the loss of these functions is a real problem, as ninety percent of my use is word processing or internet searches.

I appreciate your help never the less,

John

• JackE

Well, if the hidden recovery partition somehow didn't get transferred on to the new hard drive, you could always order recovery media specific to your 8930 directly from Acer at nominal cost. However, If those are the only functionalities that the repair guy didn't seem to catch, I think he's already done an outstanding job in getting the system back up and running. If it were mine, yes,  I'd prolly also give him a chance to find the toolbar that he lost. And prolly give him a 'tip' for trying even if he couldn't find it.  8^)

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• johng2
    Answer ✓

Thanks again, Jack.

I think my daughter has already realised her friend did a good job, (because I hadn't even noticed anything).

I'm going to ignore this minor fault.  I can live with things as they are, I do appreciate your efforts to help and will buy a desktop computer next time.  I really didn't need a laptop, (I just thought I did).

My best regards,

John 

• JackE

>>>I think my daughter has already realised her friend did a good job>>>I'm going to ignore this minor fault>>>

I think your solution is a good one, John!

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ