moisture problems on laptops

abbytheone
abbytheone Member Posts: 6 New User

I have been blamed for the water damages caused on my 10 months old laptop, I am certain the they were caused by humidity or moisture but not to any water spillages. I am the only one using the laptop in my private room, no one ever get near the laptop. I have tried all possible way to explain to the service department in Italy (Milan), to no avail.  it is not just the cost of repairs they have been asking (The same amount as purchasing a new laptop), it effect my credebility,. I purchased many ACER itam in the past, but this time having been treated as if I was a cheater, it in all fairness effected my status, and morals.  

Best Answer

• papa52
    papa52 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Answer ✓

If they want the same amount of money as a new Laptop they are trying to rip you off. I would take it to a private repair facility near your home to get an estimate on repairs. These estimates are usually free or very close to free. If they give you the same answer as Acer I would buy a new Computer but something other than an Acer. Besides how would they know how it got damp inside? They are quoting you a worst case scenario methinks. If your Laptop gets that wet where you live I would stongly consider moving. It could get very expensive having to continually replace your Computer!

Answers

• papa52
    Answer ✓

If they want the same amount of money as a new Laptop they are trying to rip you off. I would take it to a private repair facility near your home to get an estimate on repairs. These estimates are usually free or very close to free. If they give you the same answer as Acer I would buy a new Computer but something other than an Acer. Besides how would they know how it got damp inside? They are quoting you a worst case scenario methinks. If your Laptop gets that wet where you live I would stongly consider moving. It could get very expensive having to continually replace your Computer!

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Electronics are rated for the maximum humidity they should be operated. Most fall in the 80 percent to 85 percent range. If your house had a range of 80 to 85 percent, you would have mold all over the place.

• abbytheone

Thank you, I am still trying to get back the computer from the service section in Milan Italy, I will that then. The only problem I had was with the HDMI plug, as the external monitor would not work with the Acer laptop but work with any other laptops. 

• abbytheone

I did have problems with some moulds in the appartment, the humidity at max were in the range of 80% for a limited amount of time. Where we live the outside temperature are sometime bellow 10 deg, we use various system of heating the appartment. Perhaps the high humidity has caused the problem, but the laptop shoul be able to cope with this, as we also have two other computers (HP) and no problems what so ever. Thank you for your help.

• papa52

I am glad I was able to help a bit.  Now, just curious. Why do you have such a moisture problem? Do you live on the Ocean?

• CEBMchavez2
    CEBMchavez2 Member Posts: 2 New User

I also have the same issue, it a month old laptop and they said there is a water mark found on the mother board. and I am the only one using it and its also in my room.  It jsut shutt off when i was watching video.  But im still waqiting for a reply from acer, becasue im trying to reach them and explain, theere migth be other reason why it turn off. Hoping for a positive result.

• abbytheone

I know how you feel, I have been treated as a cheat by Acer. I am in India at the moment, and I took the computer to a local repairer, he charged 200 rs, to change the HDMA that was faulty from original, the moisture was caused because I kept the laptop on top of a glass table, with the heat generated by the computer itself, and the cold glass it a very humid apartment, caused some moisture to form on the mother board.

Milano was ready to charge my 300 Euro and it cost me in India only 3 Euro. They should get the technicians from India. I feel very sorry for you, I have been lucky to take to India the laptop that according to Acer Milano was completely finish. You will never make sense with ACER the service department, try the consumer protection they may help you. The service department in Milano should wake up to themselves; I will never buy another Acer product after this episode.

• abbytheone

A real problem exist with most of the laptop, even if the humidity level is below 85%. In my case I have been blamed to have dropped water or liquid over my laptop. I have conducted an experiment with a laptop as follow:

• Kept it directly over a desk with a glass top in humid conditions, well below 85%. As the glass temperature is normally lower than the room temperature, the heat generated from the undersize of the laptop while is operating and the ventilations situated under the lap top allow the condensation to rise inside the laptop.
    • I have also tried on a desk with a marble top in the same conditions, and the results were even more evident.

So much for all the testing done by ACER with their products. I will never purchase any ACER products, as in all my life, I have never cheated anyone, it is not my style, but I will keep on advocating the way that ACER tried to cheat me, with a demand of almost 300 Euro, which is equal to the cost of the new laptop.

I just hope that, the inefficient testing laboratory of ACER (if they have one), perform the proper tests on their products, as I believe that in the present state their laptops are not safe-

• abbytheone

No, I was living in Nth Italy, and during the winter the temperature drop to -10, the houses have no proper insulations as they were built at least 200 years ago, The walls have no cavity, plus no damp course existed when the houses were built, to keep the house warm we used a wood heater, therefore the humidity is increased by the water contained in the walls. The answer to the problem I had is that the laptop must be kept at least 2 to 3 inches above any cold surfaces. The solution is simple but ACER just like to blame people instead of attacking the real issue.