install Ubuntu alongside Windows on Acer Aspire E15 E5-511G

xxx
xxx Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I have laptop Acer Aspire E15 E5-511G, with 500GB hard disk. I have installed Windows 7 professional 64-bit in legacy boot mode. I want to install Ubuntu 14.04.1 alongside Windows. However, during the installation Ubuntu couldn’t see Windows nor partitions on the disk. I have partitioned the disk from the Windows and released 200GB on hard disk (for further installation of Ubuntu), but even after that Ubuntu sees just full disk capacity of 500GB. Is this possible and how to install Ubuntu alongside Windows on the computer?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

Yes, but I highly recommend one of VMWare's freeware Players to run a virtual Ubuntu machine. I'm currently running a SuSE distro, Win98SE and WinXP as virtuals on my AO722 netbook. Sometimes all at the same time. And they all communicate with each other via the network. I run the machine this way as support for linux software and older Win hardware and software that won't run properly or at all under the newer Windows versions.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• xxx
    xxx Member Posts: 2 New User

Solution was to install Linpus first; then it was possible to install Ubuntu without problems