iconia kd1 recovery

Options
tbarnstormer
tbarnstormer Member Posts: 3 New User

I think I am in a catch 22.

My church had an Iconia KD1 donated that is showing obvious symptoms of a corrupt file. When booting, it tries to start, then restarts, and restarts, and attempts to self repair, etc. simply result in another restart.

There is no serial number that I can find on the unit, and to make matters worse, I can't boot it and use the installed utility to get the serial number, and apparently the previous owner or owners put a password on the BiOS, so I cannot get to the serial number that way either.

I'd like very much to get hold of the installation and recovery CD/DVD's that should have come with it originally (and apparently didn't get included when the machine was donated) and try to get the thing back up and running.

Any suggestions? Will calling the Acer support line provide any hope?

thanks,

Theo

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

KD1 probably is the keyboard dock model that's connected to the W510 tablet.

the serial number probably is hidden by the keyboard dock that you can disconnect from the tablet, by the way, you can try to reset/refresh it pressing Alt+F10 keys at boot and check if you are able to enter Acer recovery.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tbarnstormer
    Options

I tried removing the screen, as you suggested. However, if there is a serial number hidden there, its in Chinese characters. I will try the Alt-F10 suggestion. Can't hurt at this point.

Thanks,

• IronFly
    Options

Check near the power connector, there's a SNID, this is you serial number, it's printed very small.

• tbarnstormer
    Options

Looks like one might have been there. If its still there its very faded, which seems odd. I will have to go get a magnifying glass with my vision, and take another look.

Anyway, kudos to you for your advice. I appreciate it.

• IronFly
    Options

you welcome. Smiley Happy

• timkolesa
    timkolesa Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

If it is a 32 GB W510 model, do not get the erecovery media from the Acer store. It does not work and you will be out $45. The media trys to instal more than the drive can hold and crashes on instal. Hopefully this issue will be resolved soon.