how to reset cmos on 5560 (trapped in boot loop)

Options
terenz
terenz Member Posts: 15 New User

I have a failed upgrade to Win 10 and then downgrade to 8.1 which is giving me problems.

Currently the laptop is stuck in a boot loop where the BIOS starts and looks for something to boot to, gives a "please wait" message then shuts down and starts over again.  Hitting any keys (F2, F12, F8, F11, etc.) does not do any good.  Not sure if an external KB would even help.  I have tried creating a bootable rescue DVD (from another computer) with no joy.  Tried a couple of of bootable USB keys, also with no luck.

Have tried removing, reducing memory to force a rejog, switched drives (I was using the old OEM drive and not the bigger one that I normally use). 

Tried removing the CMOS battery for over an hour, also with no luck.   Took it out and am waiting to see if it erases.   I have also tried holding down the power button with AC and battery out.

ANy other suggestions?

This must be a special "temporary" set up for installations but now the machine is stuck!

Answers

• terenz
    terenz Member Posts: 15 New User
    Options

I tried various Win8/8.1 install DVDs ut to no avail.  It'd read the disc for a while but then restart and go into the boot loop.  Eventually bought a new MB.

FWIW, the 5560 does not have UEFI so I doubt that was the case.