hi i have acer aspire 4520 wireless button not working

sam7702000
sam7702000 Member Posts: 4 New User

hi i have acer aspire 4520, the wireless button which has the picture of a dish antenna, which turns on with an oranve led ofter pressing is not responding, it used to work before, i have the wi fi icon in the system tray, network adapter installed in device manager from acer site, also i can see the wireless icon not connected in  network connections

only thing is i am not able to make this wi fi button work or turned on,

looking for support, thanks

Answers

• aferraro21
    aferraro21 Member Posts: 37 Die Hard WiFi Icon

Most likeley, your wirless card needs to be replaced.  Sometimes you can get lucky by removing the wirless card, restarting the computer, then shutting down the computer and physically reinstalling the card again.  In most cases, when you cannot control a wireless card's ability to turn on an off, it usually means the wifi card is a dud.

In your case, removing/replacing the card on the 4520 is pretty easy compared to most machines.  Watch this youtube video from the :18 second mark through the first 30 seconds.  That's all the time it took for the person disassembling the laptop to remove the card.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yucUQbEiNXg

Also note, it looks like in most cases, the 4520 machine came with a full size b/g mini pci wifi card.  I believe the s/n is T60H976.  I would recommend throwing in just about any Atheros half size mini pci wireless card with wireless N capabilities (huge performance increase for a minimal amount of cost, assuming your router supports wireless N).  Just keep in mind if you throw in a half size card, you will also need to get a half size bracket extension so that the half size card can fit the full size slot on your computer.  It can all easily be done with about $10-$20 in parts on ebay, and will give your computer much better wireless performance.  I recommend going with another Atheros card because sometimes manufacturues will not whitelist or recognize other manufacturer cards on their chipsets.  Never had a problem going from Atheros to Atheros on an Acer, although some people may claim other wifi cards will work.

Goog luck.

• sam7702000

hi thank you for the quick and detailed reply, i will try that with a tech guy and update the result thank you once again

• aferraro21
    Sounds good, don't be afraid to tackle it yourself, just make sure the laptop is unplugged and the battery is removed. The card will only align one way when you install it, so you can't really mess it up.
  • sam7702000

hi, after the video i did try it myself, did the stepes. opened the case, with a star screw driver, and then the two strip connections and the card again with the star driver, was able to remove it , and re fixed it , myself.

and the wireless icon went missing from network connection tab, ie start>control panel>network connection >

the network adapter was also missing,(device manager) hence i installed it from the manufacturer site, but not showing up, the wireless icon is still not responding, i have re fixed the wireless card as it should be, however i will still consulte a tech guy for the same to check all in place and update the result

thanks

• aferraro21

Glad I could help, it really sounds like you have an issue with the wifi card itself.  Sometimes it is worth a shot testing a known working wifi card (mini pci) from another machine before you fork over money to purchase a new wifi card.

When you drop a known working card into the slot of the motherboard, and boot up the computer, Windows should be able to autodetect the device and install the driver for you.  And your wifi should work again.

If it doesn't the only other potential issues I could foresee causing you issues would be,

• Bad motherboard or motherboard socket.
    • Malware/virus on your device that is not allowing for wifi to be enabled.

Best of luck to you.

• sam7702000

yes and will get that checked too, thank you.