follow up to need help with SW5-012-interesting problem

Options
gdrag0n
gdrag0n Member Posts: 7 New User

Good morning,

this is a follow up to my post yesterday. Does any one know whether the recovery thumb drive that

Acer sales to take your Aspire Switch 10 back to factory fresh: repartitions, reformats, and places all needed files on the C drive as well as the 2 hidden partitions?

The thumb drive in question has the following information on a sticker on the side:

2-13-150930-02665

FS.NPCA0.04S

ACER 

As per my post yesterday I am dead in the water at this point. 

I have a feeling from everything I have been reading and from my testing that the recovery thumb drive depends on the two hidden partitions be intact and all already formatted.

Can someone tell me what format their Aspire Switch hard drive (flash drive) is in? NTFS, FAT32, exFAT ?

With this one showing RAW across the board, I am stuck.

I know of no way to format a RAW to whatever needed format this Netbook needs without losing data.

And if the recovery keys depends on data in the hidden partitions to be intact, then.........

Gary

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

The Recovery thumb drive will recover the computer to factory configuration, including the Recovery partitions.

If your Recovery partitions were intact, they would be usable and you wouldn't need the Recovery drive.

Will your SW5 boot from USB?

• gdrag0n
    Options

Ace,

thank you for the response. Would you be so kind as to read my post from yesterday titled

need help with SW5-012 - interesting problem. It is a little more complicated then my followup.

To answer your question, yes,  no problem on the booting from the factory thumb drive or the one I made and used to diagnose some of the issues.

Thank you

Gary

• philetus
    Options

When I use my Win 8 Recovery disks for UEFI Windows 8 laptop, it will not work with partitions on the HDD.

I suggest you use diskpart to "clean" the HDD and try the USB recovery drive.

• gdrag0n
    Options

Ace,

I will give it a shot. Is it your understanding after I "clean" the drive, I should leave it in that condition and the recovery drive will detect, partition, make the partitions active, set letter and make primary and bootable as well as put all files needed so the machine boots and runs?

I thank you in advance.

Gary

• philetus
    Options

That's the way it works with the 8.1 EUFI Recovery disks.