ferrari 300LMi

Options
satiropan
satiropan Member Posts: 10 New User

hello, I am an old computers colector.

I have a brand new acer ferrari LMi, bought it years ago as new but never used it much.

the standard wi-fi minipci card is an 802.11b, which has only WEP encription.

I want to upgrade it to at least 802.11g with WPA/WPA2 encription.

I have tried an intel/dell WM3A2100 working card.

no problem during installation but the card doesn't work

does any of you know which type/brand should I look for?

I remember that this specific laptop is another acer top model rebranded as ferrari, but I don't remember the exact type.

can someone help?

best regards

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,095 Trailblazer
    Options

Hello,

I don't understand because the Ferrari 3000LMi is equipped with this original WLAN board:

54.A13V7.001 - WIRELESS LAN BOARD (802.11G)

Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • satiropan
    Options

no, mine is equipped with an Actiontec B02MIP 802.11b card

BTW here are the first 10 digits of the serial

LXFR105003

the laptop was bought in Italy

thanx

• laurent_14
    Options

Hmmm! Look at this datasheet.

"Wireless 802.11g (50MB/sec) e Bluetooth integrato"

Have you bought it new or used?

France
  • satiropan
    Options

I see, I bought it from an Acer employee as new, she had posted an ad, she said acer employees had a special price for this machine, so she had bought it for herself but sold it again, I think making a bargain. I dont't think it is stolen, it had all the original packaging.

I just thought that for Italy they had sold it with 802.11b card since 802.11g was not so common yet her.

BTW, once I had found which aspire model it is, rebranded as ferrari, but now I don't remember

and, which brand /model should be the 802.11g card that is listed in your specs?

as I said, I tried the intel-dell card but it didn't work

so I don't know whether buy an Atheros, Broadcom or whatever chip based card.

Plus, the official acer support told me thay can't help me in 'personal customization'!

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Windows XP is no longer supported and is a security risk.  Really the last thing you'd want to do is connect it to the internet.  I've installed linux on an old Windows XP computer and it works....so that's an option.

You can try one of these if you're determined.  It will work with windows xp.  You just install driver and then plug it in.

http://www.linksys.com/au/p/P-AE2500/;jsessionid=C2545D23E5792B0137207405E68447F2/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • satiropan
    Options

of course I have already an usb key to connect to my wpa2 net, but I wanted to use a minipci card, so I don't have anything protruding out

• JordanB
    Options
  • JordanB
    Options

I see.  If you're looking for an alternative to Windows XP, here's what I use on my old laptop:

• satiropan
    Options

thanx, as collector, I prefer to keep the original xp, updated to what is possible now, as it has some 'ferrari style' things at boot tha I want to keep

btw, I asked acer what was the factory wifi card for this machine and they confirmed it is a 802.11g card, so or in Italy it was sold with the b version or the seller changed itstill I don't know whether I should look for atheros, broadcom or whatever chip based card

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello satiropan,

Perhaps I can find some information with the P/N of motherboard.

You'll find it like this (ex MB.PT401.001):

Image-1.jpg

France
  • satiropan
    Options

do I have to open it? I prefer not.

• laurent_14
    Options

Hello,

You have just to remove the memory cover (2 screws). It's located in the middle of the lower case (the bottom).

France
  • satiropan
    Options