eRecovery Management not completing

Options
SweetMamaKaty
SweetMamaKaty Member Posts: 8 New User

Hi all, I'm having an issue with my Acer Aspire 5610Z.  Here's where I started:

I got this second hand within the last couple months.  It was working fine until recently, when it started turning off within a few minutes of operation.

It will stay on longer if I don't try to do anything (so useful!) but opening any web browser, or even Windows Update causes it to shut off.

It's not the power supply, as changing to a different (trusted and working) cord made no difference (the battery is shot on this laptop however).

I have run CCleaner, SpyBot S&D, MalwareBytes, Zemana, and HitMan Pro - they found a thing or two, but nothing to stop the issue. 

I have updated all the drivers using Driver Booster 3.

I restored to a date prior to the issue, but that didn't help either.

It's not hot, as it happens within a few minutes of powering on.

The kicker - it will stay on indefinitely in Safe Mode, but as soon as I boot up normally, it goes back to shutting itself off.

I have about 50% free hard drive space.

Pressing F10 at startup just gives me this, with no way to do anything that I can see:

Edit Windows boot options for: Microsoft Windows Vista
Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Partition: 2
Hard Disk: 298fa959
[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN ]

I don't have any OS disk for it, as I got it second hand, and the key is OEM.  I don't have anything on the computer that I would mind losing, other than the OS itself.  

Someone advised I try the eRecovery Management restore to factory settings.  I tried that, and it shuts down and restarts, but I never get the notice that is supposed to appear at step 7 here:

To start your system restore follow the below steps:

1. Click on the Start menu and click All Programs.
  2. In the program list click the Acer folder, then click the Acer eRecovery Management icon.
  3. Windows User Account Control may ask for your permission to run this program, click Yes.
  4. From the Acer eRecovery Management window on the left click Restore, then click Completely Restore System to Factory Defaults.
  5. On the Confirmation screen, select Yes and click Start
  6. Finally click OK to confirm restoration and then your computer will restart.
  7. After the computer restarts click Next if you agree to the notice on your screen.
    Note: The notice is informing you that all your data will be erased. If you have not backed up your data click Cancel now.
  8. Next you get a final confirmation screen. Click Next, then click OK to start the recovery process.
  9. The recovery may take a while to finish. You will get a confirmation screen when it is finished.
  10. Click OK to restart your computer.

My other struggle is that it keeps shutting off mid process on the things that can't be done in safe mode - so it has taken me a couple of weeks to get to this point. 

Thanks for reading all this - any suggestions? Smiley Happy

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

i have no other ideas at the moment, seems that your recovery is somehow corrupted.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

if you press Alt+F10 at boot?

• SweetMamaKaty
    Options

That's when I get this:

[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN ]

• IronFly
    Options

from safe mode, press windows logo key + r

type

diskmgmt.msc

on disk management, click on your HDD and check if Acer recovery partition is listed (PQservice)

• SweetMamaKaty
    Options

Sorry for the delay, I'm new here and for some reason I keep getting logged off, making me unable to reply.

Anyway!

In disk managment, I have two options, ACER (CSmiley Happy and a line that's blank - CD-ROM 0 DVD (ESmiley Happy

Is there a way to add the one you mention? 

• SweetMamaKaty
    Options

Ugh, it changed my colons with parenthesis to emojis...  I'm sure you get it!

• IronFly
    Options

click on C: , in the bottom fo disk management it will appear the partition scheme with descriptions.

• SweetMamaKaty
    Options

Thank you, would that be this?

67.7 GB NTFS

Healthy (System, Boot, Page File, Active, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)

• IronFly
    Options

Nope, it must be labeled as recovery, normally is around 10-17GB partition.

• SweetMamaKaty
    Options

I'm at a loss, I'm not finding anything like that.  Here's a screenshot of what I can see.  Clicking on C: just changes which one is highlighted at the bottom, nothing new opens.

disk management.JPG

• IronFly
    Options

ok, the EISA partition is the Acer recovery, so it's here.

can you please press F2 at boot to enter BIOS and check on main tab if D2D support is enabled?

if not, enable it then press F10, save and exit

on next boot press ALT+F10 and check if Acer erecovery starts.

• SweetMamaKaty
    Options

Thank you.  It was already enabled, so I didn't have to change it.  When I do ALT F10, a black page still opens with this:

[ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN ]

I was wrong about not being able to change anything though.  It does seem like I could change the part that says [ /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN ] if that would do any good.

At the bottom, my options are ENTER=Submit or ESC=Cancel

Enter continues startup, ESC opens Windows Boot Manager where I could choose Windows Memory Diagnostic.

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

i have no other ideas at the moment, seems that your recovery is somehow corrupted.

• SweetMamaKaty
    Options

Wow, ok - thank you for your help anyway!

• IronFly
    Options

you welcome.

• FrankyGoes
    FrankyGoes Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi I had the same experience, How ever I got further than step 7. And I found out what the problem was in my case.

I have a Z3751. I got it second hand and it did not work well. So I decided to bring it to factory settings.

But every time it shutdown, and the time elapsed got shorter.  I noticed earlier that the machine was quite hot.

So I took of the back cover which is quite a difficult thing to do. And screwd out metal cover. Immediate it became clear that the construction of the cover and the amount of dust, on top of the CPU Fan resulted in a temperature shut down during installation. Once cleared it went through installation like clockwork.

However the very old Win7Home installation took me hours of updating to bring it up to speed.

I am now trying to find out what to do with W10 and lack of drivers....Suggestions?

By the way, the Alt F10 function works but you need to tap both keys repeatedly to get it started.