eRecovery CD Problem

Options
LaptopUser118
LaptopUser118 Member Posts: 4 New User

I had to replace my HDD on my Acer Aspire 5560-7855 and I bought the eRecovery CD to restore everything to factory settings.

The package came with a couple of CDs and installing from 1 and 2 (out of 4) is fine, but when I get to the third Recovery disk the installation comes to a random stop.

I've tried using the set of CDs four times already and the installation always stops on the 3rd CD. I honestly don't know what to do. My warranty has expired since I've had this laptop for years.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

check if any popup prompt need a confirmation:

press Alt+Tab keys or Ctrl+Alt+Del

then check in the taskbar or on desktop if there's a popup to confirm.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • LaptopUser118
    Options

I'm using the Acer eRecovery Management. There's no pop-up or anything. The copying just stops at 10% everytime. I can hear the CD stop spinning when progress stops. I also hear a really faint ticking sound.

I don't think it's anything to do with my laptop since there's no problem when I install the first 2 discs.

• IronFly
    Options

ticking sound....can you please check if the CD support has any scratch, fingerprints, dust?

the sound you are hearing probably is the CD drive lens trying to read the CD surface but having problems doing it.

• LaptopUser118
    Options

After trying another installation, I checked the CD and I found a few scratches on it once I held it under light. Would that be the cause of it failing? Is there a way I could get a replacement for the CD?

• IronFly
    Options
  • LaptopUser118
    Options

Tried the toothpaste thing but it didn't work. The copying stopped at the same spot like usual and the faint ticking sound started up again.

Is there an email/number I can call to get a replacement CD or a refund?

• IronFly
    Options

i don't have, phone number or anything else, just the deafult support website:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

Are you sure the ticking is not coming from the new HDD?

can you check by ear if it's on the DVD drive or HDD?