compatible wireless cards with aspire m5-583p

cheetrowe
cheetrowe Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi all,

I have had an Aspire M5-583P laptop with an Intel wireless-n 7260 for over a year now, and it has always had poor wireless connectivity and slow performance (even when right next to my router with a strong signal and fast wifi speed--same problems in restaurants, offices, etc.) 

I have tried every driver update put out and none have improved the performance.

I opened up the computer and the card is connected properly. 

Customer support was either unable or unwilling to tell me what wireless card I could buy to replace my current one. Intel could not tell me either. 

Does anyone know what wireless card I can buy to improve wireless connectivity and performance? I would consider various price ranges, as I really need good internet to work effectively away from home. Thank you in advance for your ideas.

Answers

• cheetrowe
    cheetrowe Member Posts: 2 New User

For anyone looking for similar assistance in the future (perhaps not this exact model, but it appears that wireless issues are rampant in Acer Aspire laptops), my solution was ultimately to get an external USB dongle to pick up wifi that way.

I really didn't want to go that route because (a) now I have to permanently plug up a USB port and (b) it's annoying to have the dongle sticking out. I didn't get one of the rabbit ears ones (got an old Netgear one with good reviews on Amazon for about $14) but still.

Well, at least I can get internet on my laptop!  

I'm very disappointed in the lack of help from Acer on this issue--I'm not referring to this forum, as I realized it might be a long shot when I asked the question, but to Acer in general. But anyway I made a few mistakes--buying from Acer to begin with (that will never happen again) and not getting an extended warranty. The in-store agent did warn me that Acer had terrible support--should have listened. Intel wasn't much help either, but I'm guessing the main issue is that Acer is just putting some of the lowest-quality models in their laptops to save a few bucks.

Given how annoying it is to not have internet on a mobile device (one of the main purposes of having a mobile device!), Acer should really reconsider doing this. Spend another $10 or whatever on the wifi card guys--even if you pass that cost onto the customer, you'll have far fewer disatisfied customers--you simply can't skimp on internet connectivity in this day and age.

I also noticed that, as I looked up my own thread to post this, that a couple more people have posted similar problems, I assume on newer models but who knows. I've lost way too much time on Acer to care enough to check at this point. I'm just amazed at how many threads I've seen on Acer wireless issues. That would be like me selling a line of cars and skimping on its ability to accelerate or something fundamental like that, and then when customers asked to replace the necessary parts so that they could simply drive their car, telling them that I can't give them that information.  Just terrible...