blank screen on start up Acer aspire E 531 laptop

Options
acergirl1
acergirl1 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hi

I watched a movie on Thursday evening and closed the lid of my acer aspire E531 laptop. (Chosen shut down method) I wanted to resume working about 2 hours later and was greeted by only a grey screen. Machine powers up but then just the blank screen. After switching on, the fan starts for about 30 seconds and then stops and then the blank (grey like screen)

I've tried some solutions posted on internet ( remove battery and hold power button; press ctr alt del twice; press F8 on start up) Nothing worked. The remove battery solution ignited some response from the machine, i.e. grey screen seemed to turn white with feint blocks in background almost checkered blocks, but very very feint.

Laptop is one year old but passed warranty date. Took it to a technicial who said it is weird. Motherboard looks fine; in fact everything looks fine, but he advises to replace the motherboard.

I am stumped! Please, if anyone can help me...I am from South Africa. I cannot wait four weeks and spend over R2000 for a new motherboard.

Can anyone give some insight into the problem? Is there anything else that can be done?

I am so desperate. I have hardly used the machine. I love Acer brand. Please can anyone help?

Thank you

Acergirl1

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

Did he take out the memory and put it back in?

• acergirl1
    Options

Hi there

I am not certain. What he said was that he 'flushed' everything out and still nothing

• acergirl1
    Options

hi there

Compliments of the season.

I have spoken to the technician and he confirmed that the had done that. Any other suggestions please?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options
    If you press F2 at boot, can you boot to BIOS?

If you still have a grey screen with some colour blocks, probably is an issue on the integrated VGA and you need to replace the motherboard.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • acergirl1
    Options

Hi IronFly

Thank you

I could not get to Bios; I have doneF2.

So, guess it is the motherboard then, it's what the technician said. I'm just so stumped. Only been working on laptop regularly for about 6months; its practically a new laptop; just over a year old.

Anyhoo, thanks IronFly, go well

• sisterlindaleonard
    sisterlindaleonard Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I have a new Acer Chromebook and my screen went a grey blank after watching one google movie. I have fibromyalgia which makes learning and concentration very hard. Can any one help me?