aspire s7-191 turns off immediately if running on battery

Options
daverapp
daverapp Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

I got an Aspire just a couple months ago, and love it, except... for the last couple weeks it has had an issue turning on if it is on battery power. the battery is fully charged, but when I either open the ultrabook, or click the power button it will only stay on for a second or two and then immediately goes off. If I plug in the ac adapter it turns on normally, and if I keep trying 5 to 10 times it will eventually do some self-diagnosis / repair process and then stay on, but then next time I try to power up by battery it is back to being difficult. Any ideas diagnosing this would be very appreciated. 

Thanks much. 

Answers

• gendrake93
    gendrake93 Member Posts: 29 New User
    Options

sounds like a hard ware problem...try calling customer service or chat with an agent,heres a link,once you click on it,select chat with a support agent. http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options

hi...

You may try to reset your computer using the battery reset pin hole at the bottom of your computer.

This will not affect any data stored on your computer.

Insert a paperclip into the hole and press for four seconds to reset the computer (simulates removing and reinstalling the battery)

• gilfernandes83
    gilfernandes83 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

There is another thread that explains this better... but you need to tighten the middle screw in the bottom shell.  Apparently there is a presure plate, when the screw is not in tight it doesnt make ground hence turning off you ultra book as a safety precaucion - use a T6 torx screw driver to tighten, should fix the issue...

• daverapp
    Options

This might apply to a different model (?). On the bottom shell there are only the torx screws (8 of them) around the outside of the shell, presumably holding the bottom shell to a frame. There is no screw in the middle of the bottom, unless you have to take an outer shell off first to expose this. Any thoughts?

• gilfernandes83
    gilfernandes83 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Sorry should have explained it a little better.

There are actually 9 screws on the bottom - one of them is covered by a small white square sticker, near the hinge where the screen meets the base.

take the sticker of and tighten screw underneeeth 

I had the same issue as you and found the fix on the acer community pages.... it works, Im typing this without thee power plugged in Smiley Happy

• edjpin
    edjpin Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I looked on the bottom of my aspire s7-191, do you mean the Windows sticker or the serial number sticker?

• daverapp
    Options

Here is what worked on my computer:

On the bottom, right next to the edge close to the hinge, is a strip with a bunch of symbols on it. Between the 'NOM' and the 'FCC' symbols is a little plastic or rubber cover. Take this cover off to expose one of the small screws and tighten it (not too tight, or you'll break it off, but just lightly hand tightening should work). 

This seems to have completely solved my intermittent power issue as described earlier in this thread. 

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Dave

• daverapp
    Options

p.s. you should probably have a little 'torx' screwdriver for this task

• daverapp
    Options

sorry, didn't explain this very well, so will try again: What you need to remove to expose the 9th torx screw is actually a little square rubber or plaste cover that fits into the hole in the middle of the torx screw. Just gently pull that little square cover off (not really a sticker, since it isn't held in place by adhesive, just by a little rubber thing that fits into the 'torx' hole). 

gilfernandes83 actually explained it way better than i did (see above), except that the cover that you need to remove is a little rubber or plastic piece that you gently pull out of the 'torx' hole, not a sticker, and then when you are done tightening if you want to replace this cover you can just push it back into place in the same 'torx' hole. 

Sorry about the confusing explanations, and hope some of this helps.

• edjpin
    edjpin Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thanks a lot, I bought a Torx screwdriver and fixed the screw under the "label" and problem seems to be solved.

Playing now over an hour on the battery.

Great and best regards,

Jan