aspire 5534 How to get to BIOS to reinstall Windows 7

nanagram
nanagram Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Can't use computer as Microsoft techs messed it up trying to install SP1 which no one has ever been able to install since I've had this computer.  They ended up doing a complete reinstall of Windows 7 remotely and now it won't start at all.  

Error message about doing repair but nothing works.  On the phone with them for hours as can't connect to internet since windows isn't working.

Tried F12 but doesn't have option to go to optical drive.

How do I reinstall Windows using the discs I burned when new?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Cold boot and press F2 at the Acer logo screen to enter the bios. One of the dropdown menu options will allow you to change BOTH the boot order and enable the F12 boot option. When you've made the changes, press F10 to save changes and exit the bios to boot from whatever you put first in the boot order.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Leone
    Leone Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

What’s a cold reboot please? If it’s control alt and delete that no longer works now either
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Leone---If you have the 5534 model, a cold boot means to first press and hold the power button down until all LEDs and all the power to the machine turn off. This might take 5 to 10 seconds of pressing and holding the power button down. Then release the power button after everything seems dead. Then press the power button again one time to turn the machine back on. This is how you do a cold boot without having to remove the battery and AC charger. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ