any thoughts on why I cannot get a wireless connection to the web?

JimB1
JimB1 Member Posts: 3 New User

My laptop works find as long as I am hard wired to the router but will not connect wirelessly. Anybody have any thoughts?

Answers

• Probably the two most common issues are:

1. Security settings - Check that your key (commonly case sensitive) and security type are correct.

2. Router settings - Check that router is set to allow wireless connection (you may need to select 'registration' mode or similar).

• JimB1

Settings are ok. My HP laptop and other devices have no problem connecting wirelessly. I tried getting help from acer support. They charged me $99.00 but did not resolve the problem and would not refund my money. Very frustrated as the acer laptop always worked find up until recently.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hey JimB1,

Sorry they weren't able resolve your issue.

I would suggest taking the laptop to another location and try to connect to the internet. A coffee shop that provides Wifi or possibly a friends house.

As far as being on your connection. What model do you have? When you try to connect to the internet, how are you doing so? Do you see your access point? What happens when you try to connect?

I'm sure we can at least help you pinpoint where the issue is that you're having.

Cory

• JimB1

Have already tried another location. Same problem. Connects if hard wired to router but will not connect wirelessly.

This is acer model number aspire 7520-5185. Acer support wanted me to go out and buy a new operating system so they could change this from Vista to windows 7. This is a laptop that I have had for a number of years and I'm thinking I don't want to invest additional money in it. I'll just keep it hard wired to the router if I want to use it at all. I already have a desk top with windows 7 and a laptop with windows 8.1. It's my wife who wants to be able to use the acer wirelessly as she doesn't like learning the new versions.

Thanks anyway