acer aspire v5-122p Bios Password Reset

Options
ManlyTrash
ManlyTrash Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi All,

My neighbor brought over a Acer Aspire v5-122p to me to look at. It boots to windows but she doesn't know the administrator password and can only login as guest. I've tried to use the Alt-F10 key to get into recovery but it says there are missing discs or usb files. Can't get into the BIOS to allow to boot to CD to reload windows 8 because someone put a password on the BIOS. Is there a way to reset the BIOS? I removed the back cover and pulled the battery but no luck. There is a small button that says reset but it didn't help either. Thanks for your help.

Smiley Happy

Answers

• ManlyTrash
    Options

There has to be a way to reset this. Please and thanks.

• CdnGuy
    CdnGuy Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options

When you pulled the CMOS battery, how long did you leave it out? It needs at least 5 minutes out to clear the BIOS.

Also, have you looked into whether the board has the ability to clear the CMOS using a jumper? If it has that, somewhere near the board battery, you 'll see a set of pins with something like Clear CMOS written near it. There's a piece of plastic that covers two of the pins.

Discharge yourself of any static electricity, pull the jumper off and put it on in the clear CMOS configuration. If you're not sure what that is, consult the manual for the motherboard.

Once that's done, power on the laptop. Let it complete whatever it needs to do. Power it off. Return the jumper to it's normal position, power up the laptop. Your CMOS should be clear and you should be able to access the BIOS.

Good luck! I'm having similar issues right now.

• ManlyTrash
    Options

No jumper pins as it's a laptop/netbook. There were 2 push bottons and one did say reset but without knowing the sequence I wasn't able to reset it. What I did though, was install a spare 500 GB unformatted hard drive and connect a USB optical drive to reinstall the O/S. All is good now.