acer aspire m5-583p hard drive password help can't get into bios

Options
vividblu2020
vividblu2020 Member Posts: 17 New User
edited March 2023 in 2014 Archives

hey everyone. i have a little issue. i was wanting to boot from a usb stick to try out ubuntu. and acer rep told me that in order to do that, i needed to set a password in the bios system. so i did so, and turned off security to set the password. when i boot now, i get that little blue screen to put in my password, and i know what is is, but when trying to turn that off and using f2 to enter the bios normally it won't let me. it will ask me in a different format for the password. my password that i put in is blue. and it takes me to the default screen where i can put in another password to get into windows. acer told me i needed to send in the computer and pay 100 dollars which isn't gonna happen anytime soon. i really need to get into the bios system to change the order up the boot sequence so i can try out ubunu. or any other program i want. i just tried to update the bios driver, and it still asks me for a "sato security password" jusst to clear the air. it has some number and letters associated with the pop up.  

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,605 Trailblazer
    Options

You may be able to re-set it via software by running the clean password (clnpwd.exe) utility. If it doesn't work, then you may have to discharge the bios chip which is a bit more involved. Try the software approach first and report back.

Unzip this file

http://www.mediafire.com/download/6g4v2q2yvo173q9/clnpwd.zip

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• vividblu2020
    Options

so i unzipped it, and it says that i need one for my version. which is a 64bit system. i was looking for other files that could reset it, and i can't find any. 

• JackE
    Options

Sorry. There is one more software approach called "killcmos" but you must make be able to boot into  DOS via a USB stick to make it work. Another method is called a "back door bios password" that specific to the bios date and bios chip manufacturer (eg phoenix, ami, award, etc) for your laptop.  If you google this term, you can sometimes find back door passwords that have been used in the past and try them --- but it could be frustrating as some bios manufacturers have dozens of back door passwords to try.

But the surest DIY method is probably by removing the main battery, back cover and cutting power to the bios chip as follows.

1. Then unscrew and pull out the hard drive.

2. Look for a coin-shaped battery on the motherboard.

3. Disconnect its lead to the motherboard for a few hours. If you can find a bios jumper labeled CLRP1, move the jumper to the clear positon for a few hours.

4. Replace jumper to its original position.

5. Replace hard drive, back cover, main battery and boot up. You should now be able to F2 your way into the bios without needing a password.

To the extent possible, you may not want to replace every screw or plastic catch holding the case together till you've made sure the bios password has been reset to default.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• vividblu2020
    Options

how can i boot into a usb if i can't access the bios? like how do i boot from dos? can you explain ?

• JackE
    Options

Sorry. That's why I used the qualifier "but" after referring to dos killcmos utility.

I suggest you first google the term  "backdoor bios password". A few sites that popup will give you some backdoor passwords --- sorta like bios master keys ---  that manufacturers have used in the past. Acer has used phoenix, ami and award bios. You can try to use some of the backdoor passwords you find to see if they'll work. Unfortunately, there are dozens, maybe hundreds to choose from.  Obviously, Acer knows exactly what the backdoor password is for your particular model to reset the bios. Unfortunately, they want a $100 fee to do it.

If you get frustrated with the backdoor approach, then you have to decide if you're gonna pull the case apart to disconnect the cmos battery and discharge the bios. Or you're gonna pay someone to unlock the bios --- there are some online services that charge less than Acer to access a locked bios using codes that your bios will show on the screen after repeated attempts to enter invalid passwords.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• vividblu2020
    Options
    I have removed that hard drive and the CMOS battery (sorry for the long wait) I can't find the switch. Its all flat. I was told to keep the CMOS battery and hard drive out for an hour or so. I must have not kept it out long enough last time. It says it still needed a passwor . I hit enter 3 times and it has I think 8 number .
  • JackE
    Options

Not an hour. A few hours at least if there's no apparent discharge switch or jumper. Simply take out the CMOS battery again. And then forget about it for a few days. Then re-insert and try it again. Report back.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ