acer aspire ao756-2420

Options
saklapbhe
saklapbhe Member Posts: 7 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Hi guys, i have a acer aspire ao756-2420 netbook i think the bios was corrupted...here's the scenario..plug the ac cord the battery led indicator is blinking orange, press the power on but the screen is black...search how to flash the bios but the acer support bios on ao756 is only an .exe files....tried other bios.fd and flash it .exe on a 4gb fat flash drive none work out...holding fn+esc and pluging the ac adaptor suddenly turns on the netbook without pressing the powerbutton? thus that mean the board is dead or its natural? coz some of the tutorials flashing the bios required the power button to be press but mines automatically turns on when the fn or fn+esc is press while inserting the ac adaptor....can please some one help?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Options

>>>battery led indicator is blinking orange>>>tried other bios.fd >>>

Stop trying to flash the BIOS like this!!! It might brick or already has bricked the machine. A blinking yellow battery LED suggests the battery has failed, can no longer be charged, or shorted internally.

I suggest trying 3 things. (1) Remove the battery and try running on the charger only. (2) Try to turn the screen on with the Fn+F6 toggle key combination. (3) Try to HDMI or VGA out to an external TV or monitor and turn it on with the Fn+F5 toggle key combination.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• saklapbhe
    Options

thanks for the reply...done that first...attach it to an external monitor to see if the vga or lcd problem but also no signal...it is that i read about the acer problem with the bios so i flash it...but abnormally when i start inserting the ac jack while holding FN+ESC the unit suddenly turns on even without pushing the power button, that does mean something? and by doing that the usb is blinking..ive formatted it to fat and acquired bios files and flash it exe ...i think it doesnt flash it meaning maybe its failed board or problem with the bios files? by the way as you said it i stop flashing it the first place since flashing it might bricked it or it already has...

• JackE
    Options

>>>i stop flashing it the first place since flashing it might bricked it or it already has>>>

OK, it might be bricked. So let's try this as a last ditch attempt to unbrick your machine.

The downloaded ACER bios EXE file should be a self-extracting compressed file for the AO756. Run the compressed EXE files on another computer. In the DOS or Windows subdirectories there should be a .BIN extension file and a .ROM extension file. I'm not sure what their names are but copy these two files into the root directory of a formatted USB stick.

Then at the command prompt,  enter the following command on the root directory of the USB stick---"copy /b X.BIN + Y.ROM BIOS.FD" without the quotes. What this command will do is combine the X.BIN and Y.ROM into one file BIOS.FD. (I'm not sure what X and Y are, but use whatever names for the BIN and ROM files that you find in the extracted EXE file.

Then make sure that the combined BIOS.FD file is the only file in the root directory of the formatted USB stick. Unplug the charger from the AO756. Insert the USB stick. Press & hold the Fn+Esc keys. While still holding the Fn+Esc keys, plug in the charger. The power button LED and USB stick LED should start lighting up indicating the flashing process has started. You can then release the Fn+Esc keys. If the flash is successful, the AO756 should automatically re-boot with an ACER boot logo screen.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• saklapbhe
    Options
    thanks for taking time to read and finding solution that might help my problem...do you have any link to were i can download the ROM and BIN file, ive downloaded some bios in lower version containing several files dont know if that actually worked...do i have to add a flash it exe with the bios.fd? or only the bios.fd file in an fat or fat32 usb file system format? i think its probably better to exhaust all the option before ruling out a dead motherboard or bricked bios...and should i wait around a half hour flashing?
  • JackE
    Options

Go to this link and enter "AO756" without the quotes. http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

Select the appropriate BIOS compressed EXE download depending on the original factory-delivered Windows version. Extract it on another computer and look for the BIN and ROM extension files in both the extracted DOS and Windows subdirectories.

First try a formatted USB with only the BIOS.FD file in the root directory that resulted from combining the BIN + ROM files with the COPY /B command. Report back.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• saklapbhe
    Options

sorry for the late reply, but when i extracted the bios.exe provided by acer for windows 7 only has the hm7064.fd

tried renaming it to BIOS.fd and only put it alone in the usb formatted fat...tried flashing it but none worked

even the bios that ive search here's the link..https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4NHIBMHFQsCcHZwbjhnS0JHVzA/view

doesnt work it, maybe the bios was totally bricked...consider replacing the motherboard but it may be costly for a poor designed bios or mobo.. but thanks anyway for the help and time..=)

• JackE
    Options

Which BIOS version number did you try to use from the ACER site? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• saklapbhe
    Options
    my acer comes with installed window 7 so this is the lower and only version that ive downloaded in the acer website besides the windows 8 , BIOS_Acer_1.09_A_A
  • JackE
    Options

>>>besides the windows 8 >>>

What Win8/8.1 BIOS version# did you try? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• saklapbhe
    Options
    sorry ive only tried window 7 bios firmware...because my laptop is windows 7 preinstalled...other than that ive tried the bios firmware that i posted yesterday... https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4NHIBMHFQsCcHZwbjhnS0JHVzA/view i carefully search bios firmware for my model..only this is what i found and tried... digging later on the forums that ive search ifound a older one with DOS folder with it i also tried it but none work.... http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.05_A_A.zip?acerid=634804194458516143&Step1=NETBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE%20ONE&Step3=AO756&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_7 maybe do i have to format my usb by fat32 and not fat?
  • JackE
    Options

>>>sorry ive only tried window 7 bios firmware...because my laptop is windows 7 preinstalled>>>

Yes, I understand. But I just wanted to make sure that you did NOT try UEFI BIOS version 2.21 since it is also listed under the Win7 heading even though for Win8. Where did you get the hm7064.fd file that you mentioned earlier? There might've been 2 fd extension files. And yes, you should format the USB stick to FAT32. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• saklapbhe
    Options

i get the hm7064.fd when i extracted the .exe file in the bios firmware that the acer aspire one provided, the official support site of acer for aspire one ao756...and bios file that i ve downloaded comes from another forums

heres the orignal link for the original acer support site, ive extract the exe file using winrar and use the hm7064.fd and change it to BIOS.fd

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4284?b=1

heres the one that ive downloaded to, only .fd files and rename to bios.fd

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4NHIBMHFQsCcHZwbjhnS0JHVzA/view

as digging on other forums i found an old bios update containing .exe file and a dos folder, dos folder contains files like .fd files serveral of them are inside the dos folder...and other more files the maybe needed to boot into, or flashing...

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.05_A_A.zip?acerid=634804194458516143&Step1=NETBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE%20ONE&Step3=AO756&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_7

• JackE
    Options

OK, in the BIOS version 1.05 zipfile there should be these 3 FD extension files.
    NM70x64.fd
    HM77x64.fd
    HM70x64.fd

Each one must be tested ***individually*** by the Fn+Esc charger-plugin boot method in the root directory of the FAT32 formatted USB stick. That is, only one fd file at a time can be tested in the root directory of the USB stick. If you already tried these three particular version 1.05 files, try them again in ***exactly*** the charger-plugin manner instructed. If they again fail to repair the BIOS, then I think the BIOS chip hardware itself has been damaged and the machine is essentially 'bricked'.

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.05_A_A.zip?acerid=634804194458516143&Step1=NETBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE%20ONE&Step3=AO756&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_7

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ