acer aspire R11 keyboard not working

robflo1970
robflo1970 Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

Can someone please help. ? I replaced a motherboard on my laptop, the keyboard and mouse pad don't work now. when i turn on the laptop I could use the keyboard to go to the BIOS and it works no problem, but when i save and exit from the BIOS nothing works, I have to use a keyboard and mouse connected to the USB to have work on windows.

yesterday I reformatted the laptop thinking it might work but nothing...I unplugged and plugged back in and nothing, but i don't think there is a problem with the connection otherwise it wouldn't work when i want to use the BIOS

board # PEW71 LA-6582P REV. 1.0

LAPTOP MODEL # ASPIRE 5742Z

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,476 Trailblazer

Still using the original Windows version? Try safe mode or set msconfig diagnostic setup to see what happens? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• robflo1970

not original windows version but it was all working fine and then the motherboard burned . so i changed. again, I don't know why the keyboard works fine when i get to the bios but it won;t work at all after i save and exit from BIOS, in fact i can't even get to F* or anything else while booting. I tied safe mode and Nothing. I am really running out of ideas

• JackE

If you haven't done so already, try setting msconfig for a diagnostic boot. There are also other msconfig options that we may try later to reveal the issue.

You also said earlier >>>yesterday I reformatted the laptop thinking it might work but nothing>>>

What do you mean by this? Did you re-install whatever Windows version you're using now?  And how did you install it? Do you know if the hidden factory erecovery partition is still intact?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• robflo1970
    I haven't tried it yet.
    When I said reformatting, was because a year ago the HD went back and it needed to be replaced which it was and it was working fine. Then the laptop kept rebooting itself and would it just stopped at booting and sometimes go to windows no problem. And it finally stopped working and the mb was changed
  • JackE

OK. Because the KB seems OK when navigating the BIOS menu, this sorta suggests that ***whatever Windows version*** you've installed, now doesn't have the correct drivers for some reason. So, does Device Mgr show any issues or warnings in the mouse or HID sections. If nothing, try the msconfig diagnostics first. Then review some of the other msconfig options that may tweak your interest. No harm in trying a few. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• robflo1970
    I did check Device Manager and nothing shows. I will check msconfig tomorrow. I do have a question. Would the new motherboard be the problem? If so. Why would it work only with the BIOS? As I said before when I turn the laptop on I could press F2 and it takes me to the BIOS, but if I don't press any key it goes straight to windows. Or when I turn it on and press any key nothing works(F8, f10, etc) except f2, unlike when in the Bios all the keys work.... I never had a similar situation before
  • JackE

Before moving forward, I have 2 questions. (1) Is this an ASPIRE 5742Z keyboard referred to in the text of your first post --- OR --- an ASPIRE R11 Chromebook keyboard referred to in your subject title? (2) What Windows version? Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• robflo1970

It is Aspire 5742z, something happened when I typed the name, Iam using windows 7 ultimate

• JackE

OK. I doubt the mainboard is related to this keyboard issue. So go back and F2 into the BIOS menu on a cold boot. Then in the MAIN dropdown, enable the F12 boot menu item. Then exit and save settings. The F12 boot menu option should appear alongside of the F2 BIOS menu option on the ACER logo splash screen. You might have to do another cold boot to see the F12 option. Test it by tapping F12 key at the splashscreen to see if a boot menu appears OK.

Next, do another cold boot to F2 back into the BIOS menu. In the SECURITY dropdown, play around with BUT DON'T LEAVE ENABLED a BIOS  password setting. We just want to see if the other keys are working OK when inside the BIOS menu. If all seems well, exit BUT DON'T SAVE the settings just to be sure a password hasn't been inadvertantly set.

Report back with results and we'll go from there.

Jack E/NJ    

Jack E/NJ

• robflo1970

Hi There, I have an update, I did what you suggested, and still no luck. I checked the Bios amd I noticed that it showed FROZEN, after I fixed this problem I was able to get both working the keyboard and mouse, but after when the laptop when to sleep and started again, this time both things stop working, I checked the bios again and nothing was different.

• JackE

What do you mean the BIOS showed "FROZEN". Where did you see this? Was it after pressing F2 to get into the BIOS menu? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ