acer aspire E5-471 (E14) graphical artifacts (lines) on intel hd4400

Options
vertigo777
vertigo777 Member Posts: 1 New User

hello just bought an acer e5-471 laptop the other day with windows 8.1 on it, upon opening the laptop for the first time I noticed the screen shows graphical artifacting (different colored lines, half the screens width) appearing randomly at different positions and different intervals. Upon further investigation, it seems to appear when the CPU is under heavy load, i.g. playing high res videos, running 3d programs.

As a desktop enthusiast myself, I decided to monitor the clock speeds of the intel 4210u processor using CPU-Z, and the artifacts seem to appear only when the cpu boosts its clockspeed (intel turbo boost), but doesnt seem to manifest if the clock speeds stay low i.e. when the notebook is on power saving mode.

I updated to the latest OEM (acer) drivers and BIOS v1.21 posted on acer support, the latest bios did fix a couple of performance issues while plugged in btw. I also tried booting into an installation of Ubuntu, the same artifacts appear under the same circumstances.

>This is my second e5-471 notebook btw, I returned the last one with the same exact issue. This gives me the idea that this is a firmware (BIOS) / implementation issue rather than a software / defective hardware one

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

the last thing to try, just to confirm it's a GPU issue, is to connect an external monitor and try the same videogames with CPU-Z.

I'm not an Acer employee.