acer aspire 7250-3820 will not boot. froze on startup, powered down, and now will not boot.

ANGRYZ06
ANGRYZ06 Member Posts: 7 New User

Windows 7 OS.  tried system restore (all recovery tools fail), tried leaving battery out over night, now says "no harddrive found".  What do I do? What is wrong with it?  Should i try to boot if from a USB containing a boot file?  The biggest question is how do i recover my important files?

Best Answer

• ANGRYZ06
    Answer ✓

OK. Finally saved Rufus to desktop, placed the HirensBootCD iso file on desktop, used Rufus to burn to a blank thumbdrive (select the thumbdrive you want to use under "device", select "MBR partition scheme for BIOS" for partition scheme, select "FAT32" for file system, 64kb for "cluster size", then the bottom 3 boxes should be checked.  Make sure you select "ISO Image" and click the little CD/HDD icon next to that to have it burn your HirensBootCD.iso file, hit start, let it burn it, done)  Then plugged the thumbdrive into crashed laptop, ensured it was set to boot from USB, and good to go.  Selected MiniXP and I am now recovering all my files from the HDD.   SO, this is the steps to recover my data, thank goodness, but what is the permanent fix to repair the laptop?  Does it need to have an new OS installed?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

You can try to check on BIOS if the HDD is recognised as SATA device; press F2 at boot and look at the main page.

if the HDD is not listed....probably is gone.

if the HDD is listed:

i suggest you to create a bootable USB or CD media from Hiren's boot cd .iso
    http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/
    unzip the zip file, burn the .iso file to CD or USB pen/external HDD
    then boot from the burned media and choose mini-xp from the options

so you can copy your files from the HDD to an USB flash drive

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • ANGRYZ06

it shows the HDD model name, HDD serial number, and ATAPI Model name.  They are all listed.

• IronFly

check in BIOS if the HDD is the first bootable device on boot menu.

if it can't boot from HDD, use Hiren's boot cd as i wrote in my previous post to backup your data first.

• ANGRYZ06

HDD is first bootable device.  Downloading Hirens now...

• ANGRYZ06

I dont see an iso file to copy. exactly what do i need to put on the USB?

• ANGRYZ06

I copied the "Hiren's.BootCD.15.2" file on the USB, and it is the only thing on the USB, and it does not work.  Still does not boot up.  I made sure the boot priority listed the Cruzer USB as the first one.  What am i doing wrong? 

• IronFly

you need to burn it to the USB, not just copy the iso file.

use Rufus to burn the iso into the USB (format to FAT32):

http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

probably you need to set the BIOS to Legacy and disable secure boot to be able to boot from Hirens.

• ANGRYZ06
    Answer ✓

OK. Finally saved Rufus to desktop, placed the HirensBootCD iso file on desktop, used Rufus to burn to a blank thumbdrive (select the thumbdrive you want to use under "device", select "MBR partition scheme for BIOS" for partition scheme, select "FAT32" for file system, 64kb for "cluster size", then the bottom 3 boxes should be checked.  Make sure you select "ISO Image" and click the little CD/HDD icon next to that to have it burn your HirensBootCD.iso file, hit start, let it burn it, done)  Then plugged the thumbdrive into crashed laptop, ensured it was set to boot from USB, and good to go.  Selected MiniXP and I am now recovering all my files from the HDD.   SO, this is the steps to recover my data, thank goodness, but what is the permanent fix to repair the laptop?  Does it need to have an new OS installed?

• IronFly

good to hear it.

i think you need to re-install your OS if it still fails, probably you have a bad HDD.

• ANGRYZ06

FOLLOW-UP: Installed Windows Ultimate.  Works like new again.  Now just have to reinstall all drivers.