acer aspire 5755g fan not spinning

Options
Legomore
Legomore Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

I have had my Acer Apsire 5755g for about 5 years now. In the past year, I noticed that my computer would sometimes overheat and shut down.

It has became more consistent now, happening whenever I put any load on the computer at all. What I used to do to fix the problem is just use a vaccum to blow some air into the fan, and that seemed to work. But now it doesn't.

It seems to be a problem with the fan, and apparently many other people have had similar problems.

I tried downloading a FanController and that didn't work.

Then I put my computer under load by running a demanding game. I flipped it and saw that the fan wasn't even spinning!

Someone please help! I am considering getting a cooling pad, but I am not sure if those even work.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options

The fan either needs to be thoroughly cleaned of dust bunnies or replaced. I'd first try to re-vacuum the air intake port plus blow a strong breeze into the exhaust port. If that doesn't work, you'll have to disassemble the machine to directly access the CPU fan to either clean it further or replace it.   

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Legomore
    Legomore Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    Yea... I might do that. But for now, I have ordered an attachment USB vacuum that goes on the intake. If that doesn't work, then I will try your method. Thanks.
  • freddyzdead
    freddyzdead Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I know it's been awhile, but I'm hoping someone has a real answer for this problem.  The trouble isn't that the fan is dirty or faulty, as suggested above.  The fan is not being told to run.  This is a well-known problem with Gateway laptops.  Since Acer owns Gateway, a lot of Acer branded laptops are designed by Gateway.  The 5755G is one of them.  The trouble only occurs in Windows.  As soon as Windows starts, the fan stops running.  I believe it's because the fan sits at a hardware address that Windows doesn't know about.  this would be easy to fix with a bios update, but to my knowledge this has never been done.  Unless someone has done that, or found another solution; that's why I'm here.  I was trying to convert an ESD to WIM, which was using all 8 available threads, and it crashed halfway through, because of heat.  This is ludicrous, I'm not going to throw away a perfectly good i7 laptop just because some ***** didn't know where to connect the fan.

Thanks, guys.