acer aspire 5742 touchpad wheel not scrolling

Options
nitin
nitin Member Posts: 3 New User

I have windows 10,just installed a new sandisk 256 gb ssd on my legacy Aspire 5742 with i5-m460-2.53 Ghz processor and the mouse is Synaptics ps/2 port touchpad. This is a fresh windows 10 install from a dvd disk.Windows has been updated to the latest automatic update.The mouse can do everything else but scroll using the vertical scrolling option located on the right side of touchpad.What could be the problem?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,621 Trailblazer
    Options

What does device mgr show?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• nitin
    Options

ELAN ps/2 port input device.I did install the Elantech Device driver fromm Acer Aspire 5742 support page.There are two drivers available Synaptics and Elantech.I had unistalled the windows 10 default ps/2 mouse from device manager before I downloaded these two.

• JackE
    Options

Did you try to delete the ps2 Elan from device mgr. Then reboot and let the system do its thing?

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• nitin
    Options

Ya, restart puts the Synaptics port ps/2 touchpad back in device manager under mouse and pointing devices.I am just going to have to deal with not being able to scroll on my touchpad.This is frustrating.I can still use the up down arrows to scroll up and down and the side bar to move down a window.It would be nice to use the pad for scrolling though.

• JackE
    Options

Have you tried playing with the synaptics wheel, etc settings in control panel, aka main.cpl?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ