Windows 8 laptop-TV HDMI not working

Options
mel2000
mel2000 Member Posts: 6 New User

Acer Aspire V5-571P/64-bit. Was able to connect to Sony TV with no problems until I recently updated to Windows 10 from Win 8.1. On Win 10, WinLogo+P displays screen projection options but none of those options connect to my TV as I was able to do before the update.

Downgraded to Win 8.0 Intel VGA driver (v9.17.10.2828) but still was not able to connect. Win 10 did not allow me to install Win 8.1 Intel VGA driver, even in compatibility mode.

Can someone offer tips on what I've overlooked or am doing wrong? Thanks.

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,631 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

In Win10, does the laptop display look OK? Does device mgr show anything unusual? That it's an intel adapter.  Have you checked the intel site for any updates to your video adapter. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options

Have you tried to toggle the video F5 and/or F6 keys on and off?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mel2000
    Options

Thanks for your reply Jack. I don't have access to the laptop right now but will try your suggestion tomorrow. Will let you know the results.

• mel2000
    Options

OK, we tried connecting to HDMI using F5 and F6 function keys but neither worked for us. I think we'll just revert to Windows 8.1 since we had things working with that OS version. Thanks anyway.

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options

In Win10, does the laptop display look OK? Does device mgr show anything unusual? That it's an intel adapter.  Have you checked the intel site for any updates to your video adapter. 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mel2000
    Options

Laptop display is fine. There are no problems in Device Manager. The TV shows up as working properly in the Devices and Printers screen. The latest Intel Win 10 graphics driver (win64_154010.4300.exe) won't install on our Acer. Win 10 tells us that the latest driver for our system is already installed.

• mel2000
    Options

Oh well. We cannot revert to Win 8.1 because there's a 30 day limit to revert. I'll continue to look for more solutions to the HDMI issue.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Download the latest Intel HD 4000 drivers:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/25274/Intel-Iris-Iris-Pro-and-HD-Graphics-Production-Driver-for-Windows-7-8-1-10?httpDown=https%3A%2F%2Fdownloadmirror.intel.com%2F25274%2Feng%2Fwin64_15407.4279.exe

Device manager

right click your Intel HD graphic card

click on uninstall and tick to uninstall software too

reboot and install the downloaded drivers

reboot again

check on device manager if graphic drivers are still the latest you installed (sometime windows 10 tends to re-install oldest)

then press windows logo key + p

and see if you are able to have images on TV

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • mel2000
    Options

Thanks for your reply IronFly, and thanks to all who replied. Sorry for the delayed response.

We finally found that the problem was a bad HDMI cable. The old one had been serving us well but decided to ***** out coinciding with the upgrade to Windows 10. We substituted the cable and were able to connect without issue.

We really appreciate all the effort everyone put into helping us with the issue and we learned a lot about HDMI connectivity.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

You welcome.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    Options

>>>We finally found that the problem was a bad HDMI cable. The old one had been serving us well but decided to ***** out coinciding with the upgrade to Windows 10.>>>

Whoda thunk it!!? Great bit of sleuthing! 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ