Windows 8 Certificate of Authenticity/Product Key Code

Options
CherryPearl23
CherryPearl23 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited March 2023 in 2017 Archives

I just purchased the Aspire V5-122P  three days ago and notice that there was no Certificate of Authenticity which provides the Windows 8 Product Key Code.  As someone who build and fix desktops, I always tell people that they should ALWAYS keep up or store their Product Key Codes in a safe and rememberable place.  I really need this key code should I ever have to wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows 8.  I can always download Windows 8 from Microsoft.com or use someone else's Windows 8 to install but without that Product Key Code, it will be useless unless I purchase a new Windows 8.  I really want to avoid that expense considering how much this notebook cost.  

Any suggestions as to how I can get my Windows 8 Product Key Code will be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

hi...

No machine released with Windows 8 from vendor will come with a Windows 8 License sticker underneath, regardless of the brand. This is one of microsofts security measures to reduce piracy. The Product key is injected in the firmware of your mainboard.

So if you need to reset or reinstall Windows 8, you don't need to hunt for the product key. It's automatically applied and activated.

That's certainly a plus, especially when the numbers on those product key stickers wear out or are just too small to easily read.

You can view the full Windows product key using a third-party utility,

Belarc Advisor is the only keyfinder at the moment that correctly extracts the key for Windows 8

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Options

hi...

No machine released with Windows 8 from vendor will come with a Windows 8 License sticker underneath, regardless of the brand. This is one of microsofts security measures to reduce piracy. The Product key is injected in the firmware of your mainboard.

So if you need to reset or reinstall Windows 8, you don't need to hunt for the product key. It's automatically applied and activated.

That's certainly a plus, especially when the numbers on those product key stickers wear out or are just too small to easily read.

You can view the full Windows product key using a third-party utility,

Belarc Advisor is the only keyfinder at the moment that correctly extracts the key for Windows 8

• CherryPearl23
    Options

Thank you for that info.  I was not aware of this regarding Windows 8.  As for those key codes that wears off, not only do I keep the label on the computer but I also write these key codes in a folder that I keep for passwords and other important computer info.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Just a note but Microsoft seems to change the algoritm for each different vesion so it a retrieval is needed make sure the retriever works with the OS version you have. Can usually verify because the "Activated" section at the bottom of the Computer>Properties screen will usually display the last sequence.

Worst case you can use SLUI 4 to display a seqence and a local or toll free number to call and receive a validation code. The automated method works faster than waiting for a human but use the telephone keypad to enter numbers, there are a lot and the voice recognition needs some work.

• robinp
    robinp Member Posts: 21 New User
    Options

Cherrypearl, has the Product Key been activated on the PC Settings-Activation screen? Mine wasn't when I bought my Acer Aspire new in Jan. 2013.

• CherryPearl23
    Options

Yes, I believe it was @Robinp

• driver22par
    driver22par Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

just purchased re-furbished V5-572P- 6858.

Win 8 64 bit

asked for key code, used Belarc, report indicates key not found, not registered.

so now I have to purchase Win 8, which should already be there.

It also has no Office programs- I have the 2010 Pro version, but this machine has no dvd/cd reader. ANd this supposedly was an upgrase from my previous, unavailable, ordered laptop.

BTW after opening it up, turning it on, going through the steps above, it froze. Have turned on and off 3 times, comes up with a broken pixel screen that can't be read.

What *** this product is! Glad I didn't pay the $699.99 retail price!

Got any comments? if I get stuck with this, how about filling me in on what an external CD /DVD read/write will set me back.

[inappropriate content removed]

• robinp
    robinp Member Posts: 21 New User
    Options

I'm not familiar with the V5-572 Acer Aspire. I have a V5-571. I purchased it new & couldn't activate Win8, so I sent it back to Acer Service. They activated it ok but failed to activate the Product Key. I used it for several months but kept getting nudges to activate, tried several things, nothing worked, & I had to send it back to Acer Service again. They activated it this time & I haven't had any problems since.

Personally I don't use MS Office programs, I find Apaches OpenOffice is better & free.

Have you been able to open your PC at all? Or are you saying you can't get passed the P.K. stage to activate Windows? How do you know Win8 isn't already on your machine if you can't activate it?

• Gaztop
    Gaztop Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi Sharanji

i had my Acer Aspire E1-571 stolen

i managed to get it back via police some months later however the hard drive is missing

i downloaded a win 8 installation disc however i do not know the product key to install it

is there any way of getting this from acer database via serial No etc

• mekanikw
    mekanikw Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

would that also be the same if i have 2 identical acer aspire e5-521-65b8. i deleted my windows 8 partition. now i want to reinstall. laptop is only one month old. i found that it is not so simple as just installing windows 8 and entering product key from sticker on the bottom. i went out today and bought another acer, same model. because i need one functioning while i get ubuntu straightened out. soo i want to clone my new laptop hdd and install in my other one. i know serial numbers will not match but if it will get the product key from the motherboard i would be using the original product key from the older laptop. i would think that would solve any authenicity issues. would it? its only about 50 bucks to get a erecovery. but why should i do that for a laptop i bought in november. i would have had a back up if i new i couldnt reinstall. i guess it is time to pay attention to details. any help understanding how this work will be REALLY appreciated. thank you.

• Dayo
    Dayo Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

How can i activate my window licencs

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    Options

What is your ACER model? What is the factory-installed Windows version and is it still running on this version? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ