Windows 8.1 broadcom wireless drivers

boboudrescu
boboudrescu Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello,

I have an Aspire E1-571G with Windows 8.1x64 (clean install, no upgrade and so on) and I've been having issues with my broadcom wireless drivers ever since I installed it. The troubleshooter showed up that there is a problem with the default gateway but here's what really happens: I can stay connected to a wireless network but after random periods of time I just lose internet access (note that it doesn't show up in the connections page, everything looks perfectly fine there) and I have to reconnect to the wifi to regain it. I have tried on multiple wifi network and it does the same thing. It works fine if I use an ethernet cable but that just makes it more frustrating.

I have tried all the possible solutions I could find online like checking the power management settings, reinstalling the wifi card in safe mode, checking the priority of the wirelss connection, virtually anything. There is no hardware issue with it, it worked perfectly fine on Windows 7. I haven't been able to find wireless drivers for 8.1 and even though I have the latest drivers, it still doesn't work right. There are moments when I can keep my connection for more than 2-3 hours but there are times when it crashes every 5 minutes or so.

Does anybody have any idea how to fix this instead of waiting for the drivers to be updated ? I've seen that I'm not the only one with this issue and it's a bit common for e1-571g users. For example lenovo users had the same problem and the only fix was to install the default windows drivers but that doesn't work for me.

Answers

• MFL2277
    MFL2277 Member Posts: 8 New User

boboudrescu 

Hello to you!  I just wanted to tell you that your symptoms and troubles are exactly the same as mine.  While I have found some extended ethernet connection by using FIXED DNS Server Addresses (Google Public Adresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4), I still have the disconnection/dropped signal at least 6 to 8 times in the day.  So I know it's not a complete remedy by you may want to give that a try and see if it maintains a connection for a bit longer.

I have posted information about Broadcom's announcement to get a new driver released and can only hope that it means a complete remedy to the problem with 8.1 drivers.  SOON!!

So we shall see!

• boboudrescu

Thank you for your reply. In the meantime I'm using ethernet connection to get rid of the annoying disconnects. Let's hope they release a working driver soon then Smiley Very Happy

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Right after I upgraded to 8.1 I checked for updates and an optional one was for Broadcom. For my tabs the driver is 5.93.97.113.

You might also want to download the home version of INSSIDER and see 1) if the signal is -60 db or lower and 2) nothing else close is using the same or an adjacent channel (only 1, 6,and 12 are clear).

• boboudrescu

It's been two days since I got no disconnect. The problem might have fixed itself or something, I have no idea but the driver doesn't seem to be updated, nor does the Windows.

• mg1024
    mg1024 Member Posts: 1 New User

I'm on Windows 8.0 broadcom wireless drivers and I still can't stay on the Internet. Is there a solid fix. I'm an Apple users and just went back to Windows. I'm ready to throw this thing away.

• boboudrescu

I am currently using broadcom drivers version 5.100.245.20 on windows 8 x64. I gave up windows 8.1 long time ago.

• DrKnas
    DrKnas Member Posts: 1 New User

I have an Aspire E1-571 with a Broadcom wifi with the same connectivity problem. I solved this by changing in the driver settings "20/40 Coexistance" and "VMM" to disable all other settings to auto or default. Thank you ACER support for no help. 

• pietmatthys
    pietmatthys Member Posts: 1 New User

The following solution was working for me :

Download the driver broadcom for windows 8 (not 8.1) : http://www.acer.nl/ac/nl/NL/content/drivers

After install and restart, wifi was working again.

• Blueflippy
    Blueflippy Member Posts: 5 New User

What a frustration I and many others went through to fix this issue which is lost Wifi when going from Windows 8 to 8.1.  Forget the driver Acer wants you to use.  Instead install from the Acer website an older driver 6.30.59.20 for Windows 8 and 8.1 but for 64 bit.  It says its for 64 bit rate, but it fixed my 32 bit Aspire E1-571 laptop when I went from Windows 8 to 8.1.  The Acer recommended driver for my 32 bit laptop does not work with Windows 8.1, at best it has very limited connectivity.  It worked fine on Windows 8.  Some guy/gal figured this fix out and posted it on another chat blog which I can't remember the name any more.  With this older driver, WiFi for both Windows 8 and 8.1 works fine.