Windows 7 boot or can't repair after bios update on Aspire 5551

Herosmith
Herosmith Member Posts: 7 New User

I upgraded BIOS to 2.14 from 1.04 and now win 7 won't boot and won't repair.  Think I need to go back to BIOS 1.04.  How would I go back, I tried to reload using DOS and the ACER loader but it won't allow it.  I was able to take 2.14 back to 2.0 though, still won't boot or repair win 7.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

very strange that you was able to flash 2.x on 1.x BIOS version, since Acer normally doesn't allow or flash tool will prevent this update.

can you describe better "won't boot"?

Are you still able to enter BIOS pressing F2?

have you tried a load default settings on BIOS?

have you tried a CMOS reset?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Herosmith

This computer had a fresh reload of Win7 on it and the person I bought it from did not update from the original 1.04 BIOS.  Also almost none of the drivers were current for the specific ACER HW, i.e. Realtek.  So I decided to start by updating the BIOs and used the windows tool to update to 2.14.  After reboot, windows 7 will not load and takes you to the repair tool which will not complete with the following Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically.  So the next thing I did through DOS was to take the BIOS down to 2.0 and that is where it sits as it will not let me go back to 1.04.  I can get to BIOS through F2 and loading default setting did not change the version of the BIOS.  I have not done CMOS reset, will that change the BIOS version?  I have done chkdsk on Win 7 volume.  Thanks.

• IronFly

nope, load default or CMOS reset will not revert back to 1.04 but simply put all BIOS settings to default, so any error on saving BIOS setting will be erased.

can you try if pressing Alt+F10 at boot, start Acer erecovery?

are you able to enter safe mode, pressing F8 after BIOS post?

• Herosmith

Alt-F10 does not enter erecovery, prolly because this was a clean windows load, but does not work.  F8 does bring up safe mode among other selections.  But repair youer computer appears at the top.  What should I do at this screen?

• Herosmith

Safe mode will not come up.  Takes me back to setup repair.  Endless loop no matter what I select from F8.  But from setup repair I can get to a command prompt so I have access to the drives, files and directories.

• IronFly

try this things:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139576-startup-repair-infinite-loop-recovery.html

Honestly after a BIOS version change like yours, i would recover my personal data from the HDD and re-install windows 7 from scratch.

• Herosmith

I do not have the Win7 disk and now the KB does not work and I have one on order before I can try the other suggestion you made re Win7 and the backup registry.  Still open...  Thanks.