Windows 10 incompatible with acer aspire 5742

Rosey
Rosey Member Posts: 22 New User

Can anyone tell me what the consequences are from running windows 10 on an acer aspire 5742 that was originally had windows7 installed?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer

Some of the peripherals, such as the wireless network adapter, may not work properly or at all unless updated software drivers are available and installed.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Rosey

Ive been told that windows 10 has been silently corrupting my (motherboard?) and i need to reset to factory settings because it wouldnt start up propelry, it just kept alternating between a black screen and a screen saying hit f2 for startup options.

do you think thats correct?

• JackE

As long as the hidden Acer erecovery partition on your hard disk is still intact and you have no hardware issues, you can follow this video to re-set your 5742 to factory-delivered condition while saving your data.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2xoMEPfiPQ

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Looking at the available drivers this is a 64 bit capable notebook from about 2012. I could not determine which cpu it has or how much RAM (64 bit usually has at least 4GB of Ram).

I have found that MS is constantly increasing the available drivers (for several month CloverTrail was not supported, is now).

My expeience is that you need to follow this process to upgrade:

1) Get all availalble Microsoft updates for Windows 7

2) Create a recovery disk and a full system image. Also run MSINFO32 and save the contents (File>SaveAs

3) Update to Windows 10 with all patches

4) See if any peripherals are missing.

5) Try applying the Windows 7 drivers from Support.Acer.Com

6) repeat 4

7) Post here asking for drivers for the missing peripherals. Be explicit e.g. Realtek RTL8192SU Wireless LAN . See your saved file from MSInfo32.

• Rosey

Hi. Thanks for replying. 

I started the 'restore operating system and retain user data' 23 hours ago and its still going. 

Is this normal? Im guessing its not. What would you advise me to do?

thanks again

• Rosey

Hi. I bought the the computer in 2010. 

I had already started to restore operating system and retain user data before you replied. Its been going for 23 hours now so I think somethings probably not right. 

• JackE

Let it continue as it's trying to save your data as well as recover the operating system to a factory-delivered state.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Rosey

Ok, will do. Thanks Smiley Happy